Every Friday we will post upcoming event and information details for the week to come. Read all the way to the bottom for cute pics.
Congratulations on having made it through the first week back to school. Montessori is more than just a type of school; it’s a commitment and way of life for families and educators, and DVMS strives to be your Montessori community.
Speaking of community…
- Saturday, Sept. 12 — Webster’s Falls DVMS Community Picnic: This fun family event has been cold-and-rained-out the last couple of years, and the weather is looking a little sketchy for this year too, but it will not rain!! Bring the kids and a picnic lunch, some frisbees, soccer balls, kites, and such, and come see all the DVMS folks you’ve missed over the summer and get to know all of the new DVMS families who made the great choice to join us this year.
- Wednesday, Sept. 16, 3:00-4:00 p.m. — Elementary Orientation: This orientation session is open to all elementary parents, both Lower and Upper. You are strongly encouraged to attend to chat with the teachers and go over some of the routines and expectations for the year.
- Thursday, Sept. 17, — First (and new second) Year Casa Orientation: First year Casa parents (as well as new second year families) are invited to participate in our half hour workshop this month, in your child’s Montessori environment, that will focus on Practical Life and the importance of it both in the classroom and at home. We strongly encourage attendance. Please let your child’s teacher know if you are bringing any siblings to the playground so we can account for appropriate supervision. Children will be waiting to be picked up at 4:00. (Next workshop dates (tentative) – Thursday October 29 3:30-4:00 and Thursday, November 26, 3:30-4:00).
(Elementary students need to wear their DVMS t-shirts on outings. If you are a new student and did not receive a t-shirt yet, please come to the office to pick one up; new shirts are available from the office for $10, if required, for returning students)
- Lower Elementary students will be participating in Adventure Running with Janice to kick off their physical activity special programming this year.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Catherine) will run on Fridays
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Carol) will run on Mondays
Please make sure your child comes to school with appropriate outdoor running gear on the relevant days. This is a rain or shine adventure, so if the weather calls for rain please send the running clothes separately so the children can change afterwards.
- Upper Elementary students from both environments will be starting their special physical activity program at the RBG this year. They will be bused to and from the RBG and will require a packed lunch. A water bottle is also required. This is a rain or shine activity so please ensure they bring or wear appropriate outdoor gear on RBG days. The students will be either canoeing or exploring the trails with an RBG guide the first two weeks, and will participate in a ropes course the third week. PLEASE NOTE: they will be at the RBG on Friday, Sept. 11 and 18, and on Thursday, Oct. 1.
- The date of the elementary cross-country event at La Salle Park in Burlington has been changed to Wednesday, October 7.
Notes and Reminders
- Remember, all of the event information and details above are available on the dvms.ca calendar. Please make the website calendar your go to source for up to date information throughout the school year. (Note: Please add Friday, May 20, 2016, as a PD Day to your hard copy calendars; oops!). Important event and information links will also always be available on the Home page of the school website — important events such as…
- Online sign-up for September Parent-Teacher Interviews. Interviews are now held at the beginning of each term as opposed to end. This allows us to make the interviews more beneficial to students, parents, and staff by giving us a chance to review previous terms and set goals for the new term. This term’s interviews will be held on Thursday, September 24, from 4:00 – 7:00 p.m., and on Friday September 25, from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (NOTE: Lower Elementary Parent-Teacher Interviews will start at 2:00 on Thursday).
- Absent? Late? If your child is going to be absent or late, please leave us a message at 905-627-1073 or send an email to email@example.com. If we haven’t heard from you by 9:30 we’ll give you a call to check in. Thank you.
- Finally, to make sure you don’t miss anything going on at DVMS, we are looking to set up an email notification system that is linked to the dvms.ca website calendar. Please provide any email addresses to which you would like to receive notifications of DVMS events (three days and one day prior) by using this registration form. We hope to have this up and running by the end of September.
Thanks again for a great first week everyone. We’ll see you at Webster’s Falls on Saturday, and don’t forget about Supercrawl this weekend.
Some pictures from the first day: