An early update this week, because DVMS is closed on Friday, Oct. 9. Friday is a PD Day (First Aid day for the DVMS staff) and Monday is Thanksgiving. Hope you all have a great long, long weekend and we’ll see you and your leftovers on Tuesday, Oct. 13.
Read on for details of the 2015.2016 DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner, as well as what to be ready for next week.
DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner:
This year’s dinner will be held at the beautiful new Strata Montessori Adolescent School on Saturday, Oct. 24. Capacity is limited to 50 lucky DVMS/Strata parents, so visit the event page and get your tickets quick. This year, DVMS’s Nieczyporowicz family, owners of Niche Catering, will be preparing a fabulous meal for you. Tickets are $50/person and there will be a cash bar.
Now that you’ve got your tickets, enjoy some recent pictures from our Montessori environments, then check out what’s going on next week.
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Carol): The Friday group begins swimming on Oct. 16. The class is split into two groups with one group swimming on Mondays and the other group swimming on Fridays. Lower North Parents: Please see the email you received from the Lower North guides to see which group your child is in. (There is no swimming on Friday, October 9 or on Monday, October 12).
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Catherine): begin gymnastics at the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy on Friday, October 16 (remember, Fri. Oct. 9 is a PD Day). Please ensure the children wear or bring appropriate clothing for gymnastics on those days. They are required to wear socks (no shoes or bare feet) in the gym. A water bottle is good to have too. Children are bused to and from the gym.
- Upper Elementary (both classes): DVMS Upper Elementary students will be playing soccer at Soccerworld in Hamilton starting Friday, October 16. They will be bused to Soccerworld where they will be learning and practising basic soccer skills, playing scrimmage games, and concluding with a ‘tournament’. Unfortunately, we cannot charter a bus for the return trip as it is close to the end of the school day. Please pick up your Upper Elementary child at Soccerworld on soccer days. If you are unable to pick up or arrange carpooling with another family, please let us know and we will see if we can help you out.
But wait, there’s more:
- DVMS Parent Education Night: The first event of the year will be on Wednesday, October 21, from 5:30 – 7:00. More details next week. Child care will be available at DVMS.
- Some Lower Elementary students will be hosting a bake sale after school on Wednesday, Oct. 14. You should have digested Thanksgiving by then, so lots of room for some sweet treats. Proceeds will be donated to McMaster Children’s Hospital.
- STARS at DVMS on Saturday, October 17. One of your fellow DVMS Montessori families are the proprietors of Hamilton’s Casbah and Strathcona. The Casbah is hosting Montreal’s STARS at DVMS. Casbah holds a few concerts at DVMS each year, and a portion of the bar sales go to support Strata Montessori Adolescent School. So get your tickets, call the babysitter, put some cab fare aside, and come see a great Canadian band at your kids’ school.
Finally, enjoy some photos from our Elementary students’ cross-country run at LaSalle Park in Burlington this past week: