As you can see above, we were able to make a huge donation to Good Shepherd. Thank you, DVMS community, for all of your generous donations to this student-led initiative.
The 2015.2016 DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner is on Saturday, Oct. 24, at the new home of Strata Montessori Adolescent School. If you don’t have your tickets yet, you can get them right here.
DVMS/Strata Parent Dinner:
DVMS and Strata Montessori warmly welcome you to our annual Parent Dinner on Saturday, October 24, 2015. Please join us for a grand opening celebration for Strata. In addition to enjoying a delicious dinner and seasonally inspired desserts created by Niche Catering, you will have the opportunity to see the exciting things that are happening at Strata’s beautiful new location.
Cocktails at 6:00 p.m. | Dinner at 6:30 p.m.
DVMS Parent Education Evening:
On Wednesday, Oct. 21, we will host our first Parent Education Evening from 5:30-7:00.
There are 8 principles to optimal child development, outlined in Angeline Lillard’s book, Montessori, The Science Behind the Genius.
Our aim this evening is to not just lecture to you about how Montessori education works, but to give you a concrete and/or contextual experience of how Montessori allows your child to thrive. It will be like speed dating (or so they tell me). You will move in small groups from room to room experiencing, understanding, and discussing the eight different aspects to your child’s development. It will be equally immersive, fun, and enlightening.
Child Care will be provided (no sign up necessary).
We would like everyone to come so we will need a note if you can’t make it.
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Carol): Swimming. The class is split into two groups with one group swimming on Mondays and the other group swimming on Fridays. Lower North Parents: Please see the email you received from the Lower North guides to see which group your child is in.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Catherine): Gymnastics on Friday. Please ensure the children wear or bring appropriate clothing for gymnastics. They are required to wear socks (no shoes or bare feet) in the gym. A water bottle is good to have too. Children are bused to and from the gym.
- Upper Elementary (both classes): DVMS Upper Elementary students will be playing soccer at Soccerworld in Hamilton. They will be bused to Soccerworld where they will be learning and practising basic soccer skills, playing scrimmage games, and concluding with a ‘tournament’. Unfortunately, we cannot charter a bus for the return trip as it is close to the end of the school day. Please pick up your Upper Elementary child at Soccerworld on soccer days, by 3:00. If you are unable to pick up or arrange carpooling with another family, please let us know and we will see if we can help you out.
- All Elementary Students — Cross Country Run at Lee Academy: This annual event hosted by Lee Academy is open to any Elementary student that wants to run. Those that choose not to run will participate in their regularly scheduled Friday activities (Soccerworld/swimming/gymnastics).
- Students in Grades 2, 3 and 4 (Midget) will run at 1:05 p.m. | 1.5 km
- Students in Grades 5 and 6 (Junior) will run at 1:30 p.m. | 1.5 km
- Students in Grades 7 and 8 (Senior) will run at 1:55 p.m. | 2.5 km
In each category, girls will race before boys. Parents are welcome to attend as spectators, and due to the late finish we will not be able to charter a bus back to DVMS. Please pick your child up at Lee Academy, at 3:00, and please let us know if we can help you find a ride.
- Upper Elementary at Anne of Green Gables: Both Upper Elementary classes will be attending Anne Of Green Gables at the Duffield Theatre in Cambridge on October 22. The show starts at 10:30 and we will be leaving DVMS at 9:00 sharp. Students are encouraged to bring a snack for intermission. We will have lunch upon our return.
But wait, there’s more:
Some photos from this past week: