DVMS got a new piano today. Huge thank you to our phenomenal music teacher Kate Quigley for finding the piano and arranging for DVMS to be its new home. Thank you Kate. As you can see in the video above, it didn’t take long for it to receive some love.
Thank you to all the DVMS parents who made it to our Parent Education Night this week. We had some great feedback:
This is the best curriculum night we’ve come to. You should do them like this all the time.
It was fantastic because I got to meet all the teachers and see what they know.
This was one of the most informative evenings. We walked away with a lot of information.
You always hear so many different things about Montessori. Now I’m starting to really understand what it is.
I always felt like I had my child in the right place, and now I know why.
We are really excited for our Parent Dinner on Saturday night, especially since we get to show off the new Strata Montessori building and property. Thank you for snapping up the tickets so quickly. And once again, thank you to DVMS parents Jarek and Tamara of Niche Catering, who will be making your delicious meal, and Brodie and Michelle of the Casbah and the Strathcona who generously donated the beer (which means all proceeds from the beer sales go directly to support Strata — get your cab fare and DDs in order).
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Carol): Both the Monday and Friday groups will be swimming, their last week. Lower North Parents: Please see the email you received from the Lower North guides to see which group your child is in.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Catherine): Oct. 30 is the last day of gymnastics for Lower South (they will begin swimming in November; please keep an eye out for an email from Noeleen and Catherine letting you know whether your child is in the Monday swim group or the Friday swim group). Please ensure the children wear or bring appropriate clothing for gymnastics. They are required to wear socks (no shoes or bare feet) in the gym. A water bottle is good to have too. Children are bused to and from the gym.
- Upper Elementary (both classes): DVMS Upper Elementary students conclude their soccer activity at Soccerworld on Friday, October 30. They will be bused to Soccerworld where they will be learning and practising basic soccer skills, playing scrimmage games, and concluding with a ‘tournament’. Unfortunately, we cannot charter a bus for the return trip as it is close to the end of the school day. Please pick up your Upper Elementary child at Soccerworld on soccer days. If you are unable to pick up or arrange carpooling with another family, please let us know and we will see if we can help you out.
But wait, there’s more:
- A Request From Strata Montessori Adolescent School:
A large amount of energy goes into planning an interdisciplinary component of the curriculum at Strata. Our creative expressions, physical expression, occupations, humanities, literature, math, all, largely, support one another. This can make for some ambitious undertakings, and this is where we are asking for some help from our DVMS families.
Firstly, we need a few good sewing machines. If you or someone you know has an unused machine, please consider allowing us to give it a new home — it will be well used!
Secondly, we are undertaking a project around canoes. As such, we are looking for a few canoes that are in need of some TLC — ideally with a wooden frame structure; something that may be lying around the cottage that isn’t operational and you just aren’t going to get to.
If you are able to help us out with either of these items, it would be greatly appreciated. Please let us know at email@example.com.
- Also, a tip from our Montessori guides: If your child isn’t feeling 100%, but isn’t really sick enough to stay home and miss a day of school (and you a day of work), please do not say, “If your belly/head/throat/spleen etc. doesn’t feel good tell your teacher to call me and I’ll come get you.” Doing so will result in a 99.9% chance that you will get a call at some point during the day. Instead, please let your child know that you think they will be ok at school that day, and quietly let us know at drop off. We’ll let their guides know and they’ll keep a subtle eye on them. Thank you.
- Reminder: Friday, November 6 is a PD Day. DVMS is closed.
- Here’s your weekly dose of Montessori from the DVMS environments.