DVMS’s very own Tony Evans is now the Chair of the Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators. Congratulations Tony!
From the CCMA:
Tony Evans, our new Board Chair, is embarking on a new communication initiative to celebrate some aspect of Montessori each week. His aim is to simplify the process of educating and supporting CCMA Montessori schools in their communications to their parents and their communities.
Each week (or thereabouts) we will be sending out a post from the CCMA Facebook page. It will link to a blog that Tony has established called, All Roads Lead to Rome – Why Montessori Matters in the 21st Century.
PD Day and New Hot Lunch Menu:
- Friday, November 6, is a PD Day. DVMS is closed. DVMS staff will be using this professional development opportunity to further develop cohesiveness amongst our Montessori environments and levels. We do Montessori very well, but we can always do better.
- As you know, our local hot lunch provider has experienced some misfortune. While we wait to hear how Lou is doing, we have contracted Food for Tots to provide hot lunch for the remainder of this term. Their fall/winter menu begins on Monday, November 2. The menu is a four week cycle and you can keep track of what they will be eating right here. (Remember, you can sign up for Hot Lunch anytime).
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Catherine): Lower South begins swimming on Monday, November 2. The class is split into two groups with one group swimming on Mondays and the other group swimming on Fridays. Please ensure your child’s clothing and swimwear are easy for them to change in and out of, they have a bag that easy for them to carry, and that any goggles are properly fitted. Lower South Parents: Please see the email you received from the Lower South guides to see which group your child is in. (There is no swimming on Friday, November 6 due to the PD Day).
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Carol): Lower North begins gymnastics at the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy on Friday, November 13 (remember, Friday, November 6, is a PD Day). Please ensure the children wear or bring appropriate clothing for gymnastics on those days. They are required to wear socks (no shoes or bare feet) in the gym. A water bottle is good to have too. Children are bused to and from the gym.
- Upper Elementary (both classes): Begin dance on Friday, November 13 (remember, Friday, November 6, is a PD Day). Throughout November, DVMS Upper Elementary students will be busting moves with Hayley Paone of Ancaster’s iNhayle Dance Company. This activity will take place at DVMS. Please make sure they remember to bring or wear dance-appropriate clothing on dance days.
But wait, there’s more:
- A quick reminder to please have your kids pop their heads into the office and let us know they are here when arriving late. Thank you.
- So, the weather is no longer fun. Please keep an eye on the forecast and ensure your kids come to school each day with weather appropriate clothing. We bring the kids outside unless it is pouring rain or if, in winter, the temperature is below -15 or the windchill hits -20. Also, cotton or knit gloves and mittens inevitably end up soaking wet and making little hands cold. Thank you.
- Finally, don’t forget that clocks fall back this weekend. Enjoy the extra hour of sleep and we’ll see you on time on Monday morning.
Check out what went on in the DVMS Montessori environments last week: