This will be the last update until we return for the winter term in the new year. Included is all the information you also need for the first week back (first day back is Monday, January 4, 2016). Have a great break and a wonderful time with each other. Breaks are for resting and refreshing; remember to take it easy everyone. Happy Holidays!
Time always seems to fly by, but a lot has gone on at DVMS since September. From starting/back to school tears and fears to happy, confident kids at all levels. Take a look back at all the things we’ve done:
DVMS Annual Holiday Extravaganza:
Join us on the morning of Friday, December 18, for oodles of cuteness, laughs, and fantastic performances by your DVMS Montessori kids.
- Children should arrive at school no earlier than 9:00 (we’ll be setting up in the morning), but before 9:30, when they will go straight to their classrooms to get ready. Parents are invited to socialize at the Strata Cafe and browse the Tuleeni Orphanage Craft Sale in the multi-purpose room (what we used to call the lunchroom) while enjoying some live musical accompaniment.
- The big show will start at 10:00, so please be sure to be in your seats (or standing room photo spot) in the gym by then. We are a large community and we cannot provide seating for all, so please save the available seating for grandparents, pregnant mamas, those with broken legs, and the like. Thank you.
- After the show, stick around for pizza. Our Upper Elementary students will be selling pizza slices after the show. As you all know, there are many bake sales and hockey tournaments organized by our elementary Montessori kids to raise money for a variety of causes. Proceeds from their pizza sales are going to be deposited into a Social Action Fund that they can draw from as they continue to make our world a better place for us. Your support is greatly appreciated.
DVMS will close for the holiday break at 12:00 on Friday, Dec. 18. First day of the winter term is January 4.
[Note: there is no before or after school care on Friday, Dec. 18].
Lower Elementary: Starting on January
15 8th — sorry (Jan. 15 will be a PD Day to accommodate winter term Parent-Teacher Interviews) and continuing until the first week of March, Lower Elementary students will be skating at Grightmire arena and doing Zumba at DVMS.
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Carol):
- will skate first: Jan. 8, 22, and 29.
- will do Zumba at DVMS: Feb. 5, 19, and 26.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Joanna [more on that soon]):
- will do Zumba at DVMS first: Jan. 8, 22, and 29.
- will skate: Feb. 5, 19, 26.
Both classes will skate together on Friday, March 4.
- When your child is skating, please ensure that their skates and helmet are in a bag that they can easily carry to and from the rink, and that skates are properly laced and easy for them to put on themselves. Please also note that the rink requires they wear a CSA approved helmet (look for the CSA sticker; they don’t deny kids with them, but they do frown and grumble a bit about children skating in bike helmets). We can always use some extra hands to help get skates tied up, and parents are welcome to skate with us. Children will be at the rink by about 1:45 and will skate until 3:00.
- When your child is participating in Zumba, please have them wear or bring appropriate clothing (same as for gymnastics). Thank you.
Upper Elementary: Upper students will begin travelling to and from Chicopee by school bus on Fridays to ski. They will ski on Jan. 8, 22, and 29 (DVMS is closed on Jan. 15 for Parent-Teacher interviews). Thank you all for getting your waiver/rental forms back to us by today. If you know that your child will not be attending on any of the ski dates, please let us know as soon as possible as we have to notify the hill as to our numbers in advance. Thank you.
But wait, there’s more:
- Parent-Teacher Interviews for the winter term will take place on the evening of Thursday, January 14, and on the morning of Friday, January 15. Sign ups will be available the first week back after the break.
- Friday, February 12, 2016, is a PD Day. That is the Family Day long weekend.
- An update for those families affected by the Sanofi Allerject recall: limits on replacements have now been removed and any Allerjects with expiry dates between Oct. 2015 and Dec. 2016 are eligible for replacement at no cost. Return them to your pharmacy.
- Strata and Clanmore Montessori Adolescent students’ Bazaar is this SATURDAY, December 12, from 9:00 – 1:00, at Strata Montessori Adolescent School, 575 Lions Club Rd., Ancaster. See you there!
- (And while we’re all in the spirit of giving, check out Strata’s Wish List.)