Welcome back DVMS community. We hope the first week back to school, and work, went well for everyone. Be assured that as much as there may have been some grumbling and tears about returning from the break, Montessori children at all levels find it very easy to transition right back into the cultures of work in their environments. (Take a minute to check out the photos from this week below).
Parent-Teacher Interviews are this coming week. Click right here to sign up if you haven’t already done so. Interviews have been moved to the beginning of each term this year. We made this change in order to make the interviews more beneficial to students, parents, and staff by allowing us to review the previous term and set goals for the new term. As always, please do your best to be on time and to not stay past your interview end time.
Lower Elementary: Starting on January 8 and continuing until the first week of March, Lower Elementary students will be skating at Grightmire arena and doing Zumba at DVMS. (Jan. 15 will be a PD Day to accommodate winter term Parent-Teacher Interviews)
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Carol):
- will skate first: Jan. 8, 22, and 29.
- will do Zumba at DVMS: Feb. 5, 19, and 26.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Joanna [more on that soon]):
- will do Zumba at DVMS first: Jan. 8, 22, and 29.
- will skate: Feb. 5, 19, 26.
Both classes will skate together on Friday, March 4.
- When your child is skating, please ensure that their skates and helmet are in a bag that they can easily carry to and from the rink, and that skates are properly laced and easy for them to put on themselves. Please also note that the rink requires they wear a CSA approved helmet (look for the CSA sticker; they don’t deny kids with them, but they do frown and grumble a bit about children skating in bike helmets). A water bottle is great idea too. We can always use some extra hands to help get skates tied up, and parents are welcome to skate with us. Children will be at the rink by about 1:45 and will skate until 3:00.
- When your child is participating in Zumba, please have them wear or bring appropriate clothing (same as for gymnastics). Thank you.
Upper Elementary: Upper students will begin travelling to and from Chicopee by school bus on Fridays to ski. They will ski on Jan.
8 (cancelled), 22, and 29 (DVMS is closed on Jan. 15 for Parent-Teacher interviews), and on Friday, March 11. If you know that your child will not be attending on any of the ski dates, please let us know as soon as possible as we have to notify the hill as to our numbers in advance. Thank you.
Friday, March 11, is the make-up ski day for the cancelled trip in January. As this is the last Friday before March Break, we want to invite any parents that might be available to come to Chicopee and ski with us — a bit of a family day.
But wait, there’s more:
- A Note from our Neighbours: “At the lower corner of Kemp and Central Park, a school bus stop is in place. This corner can be blind to both drivers and children crossing to get to the stop. This is even more dangerous when the raised driveway has the truck parked there. Could you ask people leaving the school in the morning to use caution and possibly decrease their speed in this area. I have watched twice as children have gone to cross the street not being able to see the oncoming traffic. Luckily the parent on the other side warned them. Just a bad place for a stop. I have also asked the bus company if moving it down would be possible, removing it from the corner.”
- Lower Elementary Hockey Tournament: Their love of hockey and charity has made it to the new year! Some Lower Elementary students are organizing a hockey tournament in the gym for recess on Thursday, Jan. 28. They are raising money for the Juravinski Cancer Centre. Entry fee is $1.00 and children who choose to participate are asked to please bring a helmet.
- DVMS Weather Policy: Just a reminder now that the winter seems to have decided to make an appearance — we get the kids outside at every opportunity, but we do follow public health policy and keep the children indoors if the air temperature is -15 or below, or if the wind chill is -20 or below. Other than that, we’re outside running and laughing and playing (and going in for a few minutes to warm up if need be). Please check the forecast each day and make sure your children have appropriate outdoor gear. We do have a few spare toques and mitts for those inevitable days when something gets forgotten. Thank you.