Here we go, the last week before March Break, after which we enter the final term of the 2015-2016 school year. Hope you all have some great plans for the break, whether it be trips to the tropics or quiet, restful days at home. Remember, March Break runs from Monday, March 14, until Thursday, March 24. Friday, March 25, is Good Friday and Monday, March 28, is Easter Monday. The first day back to school is Tuesday, March 29. This will be the last “Events and Info” post until after the March Break.
For those looking to keep the kids entertained (and needing to go to work), please don’t hesitate to register for the DVMS March Break Camp for both Casa and Elementary children.
We had a great response to our initial request to see who was interested. Please submit registration this week and come in to sign and drop off payment by Friday, March 11. Thank you.
— DVMS (@dvmstweets) March 4, 2016
As we noted in the last “Events and Info,” this past week was Montessori Week, and DVMS, along with a number of other CCMA schools, shared a lot of Montessori info on social media. Check out the DVMS Twitter timeline (#WhyMontessori) and the DVMS Facebook page.
A fun one we did was an interview with Frans and Ida, the Montessori guides-in-training from Bergamo, Italy, who are visiting us for two weeks. Read the interview here.
A number of tweets from the week are embedded throughout.
— DVMS (@dvmstweets) March 3, 2016
Lower Elementary: there are no scheduled activities for the Lower Elementary classes this week.
Upper Elementary: on Friday, March 11, the Upper Elementary classes will be skiing at Chicopee. This is the make-up ski day for the cancelled trip in January. As this is the last Friday before March Break, we want to invite any parents that might be available to come to Chicopee and ski with us — a bit of a family day. (If you plan to come skiing, and especially if you intend to drive your child to and from the hill, please let us know by Monday morning.)
- Please remember, children need to be at DVMS by 8:15 a.m. in order to take the bus to Chicopee. Thank you.
— CCMA (@ccmamontessori) March 2, 2016
“Dear Elementary Parents,
We would like to inform you about an Elementary-only pizza day. It will be on March 10 and order forms are due on March 7. The order envelopes will come home on the 4th of March. The pizza is $2.00 a slice and money will go to the Upper Elementary Refugee Fund. We hope your child will participate.
Emily and Beckett.”
But wait, there’s more:
- A reminder about kids and forgotten things: often times our Elementary students need to bring things to school, for their physical activity outings or projects and such, and, as you know, they sometimes forget. Montessori encourages independence, personal responsibility, and learning by natural consequences. When children forget to bring something to school they inevitably come to the office asking to phone home because, “My mom/dad forgot…” We remind them that their mom/dad is not going skating or presenting a project, and that it is up to them to be responsible for what they need. We are going to be cracking down a little more and denying the phone calls home, allowing the children learn via natural consequences. (We will, of course, provide exceptions in exceptional circumstances). Thank you for supporting and reinforcing this at home, and enjoy fewer mid-day trips to drop stuff off.
— Kawartha Montessori (@KMS_Ptbo) February 29, 2016
- A note for Casa parents: there will be no Casa Workshop on Thursday, March 31; that is the first (and short) week back from March Break. The next Casa workshop will be on Thursday, April 28.
— Montessori London (@MAofLondon) February 29, 2016
- MS Read-a-thon: Way to go DVMS community!! This was our best year ever participating in the Read-a-thon. You helped to raise just over $4000! Thank you to our parents, the pledgers, and of course the student readers. (If anyone still has money outstanding, we can submit it up until the March Break. Remember, you can always donate to the MS Society.)
— DVMS (@dvmstweets) February 29, 2016
- The next set of Parent-Teacher Interviews are coming up at the beginning of the spring term. They will take place on the evening of Thursday, April 14, and on the morning of Friday, April 15 (DVMS will be closed on Friday). Sign-up for the interviews will be made available the first week back after March Break.
— CCMA (@ccmamontessori) March 4, 2016
- Finally, both DVMS and Strata Montessori students spent some time with Montessori students from other Montessori schools in the area this week. On Tuesday, adolescent students from Northstar Montessori in Mississauga came to DVMS to play basketball with the Strata Montessori kids (view a gallery of photos here). On Thursday, DVMS elementary students travelled to Northstar to play in a basketball tournament with their students and students from Tall Pines and Central Montessori schools. A big thank you to DVMS Dad Colin Fox who serves as our DVMS basketball coach.