Welcome back DVMS community. Hope you all had a great March Break. Some of you have returned with some nice tans, and some have not yet returned. We are all refreshed and ready for the spring term.
Parent-Teacher interviews are coming up on Thursday, April 14, from 2:40-8:00, and on Friday, April 15, from 8:00-1:00.
Remember, DVMS is closed during the Friday interiews. As always, childcare is available during your interview time.
Please sign up for your interview timeslots by clicking right here. There is also a link available on the Home page at dvms.ca
Upcoming Events at DVMS this term:
- Grandparents’ Day: On Friday, April 29, the children’s grandparents will have the opportunity to spend the morning at DVMS with their grandchildren in their Montessori environments. DVMS Upper Elementary students will be presenting their Culture Fair that morning, which their grandparents and all other grandparents are welcome to come and view. The Culture Fair is a presentation of the research they have done in preparation for their trip to the Montessori Model United Nations later in May.
Sign-up for Grandparents’ day will be available soon.
- Show Me Day: Show Me Day, on Monday, May 2, is a chance for you to spend some time with your child in their Montessori environments and for them to show you some of their favourite jobs or pieces of work. DVMS Upper Elementary students will be presenting their Culture Fair that morning, which their parents and all other parents are welcome to come and view. The Culture Fair is a presentation of the research they have done in preparation for their trip to the Montessori Model United Nations later in May.
Sign-up for Show Me Day will be available soon.
- Parent Education Guest Speaker: We are very excited to be bringing Laura Flores Shaw to Dundas Valley Montessori School on Thursday, May 19. Laura is an educator, a prolific writer, and a passionate Montessori advocate. Learn more about Laura here, and take a look at her bio below. DVMS will be closed on Friday, May 20, for a PD Day when DVMS staff will be attending a day-long conference with Laura for area Montessori schools.
Laura is the lead editor, writer, and founder of White Paper Press, a think tank specializing in translating scientific research into terms that allows people to make informed decisions about their lives. She holds bachelors and master degrees in psychology and is currently a doctoral candidate in education with a specialization in mind, brain, and teaching at Johns Hopkins University School of Education. Laura previously worked as a family therapist in the public school system where she realized her desire to work on the prevention rather than intervention side of mental health. That led her to reviving a failing Montessori school where she became passionate about creating environments that allow children to thrive in every way.
In 2014, she retired from school administration to focus on advocating at a broader level for frameworks that can improve the lives of children and their families. She currently writes, speaks, and consults internationally on education, brain development, and parenting.
Lower Elementary Karate: Throughout April, DVMS Lower Elementary students will be taking part in karate, at DVMS, with Gord Waddell of United Family Martial Arts. They will have karate on either Monday or Friday in mixed groups made up of children from both Lower North and South. They have been told, and will be reminded about, which group they are in. Please help by prompting your child to remember to wear or bring comfortable clothing that they can move in on karate days. Thank you.
Upper Elementary Track and Field: On Fridays in April, from 1:00-3:00, DVMS Upper Elementary students will be spending their afternoons at McMaster working with the coaches and student athletes of the McMaster track team. They will need appropriate clothing and footwear (and a water bottle), and will be taking advantage of McMaster’s indoor and outdoor facilities. Students will be bused to McMaster, but we ask that parents pick up at McMaster before 3:30. Please make your way to the main entrance of the David Braley Athletic Centre. (Enter McMaster at the Sterling St. entrance). As always, if you are not able to pick up at McMaster, please let us know and we will arrange to carpool your child back to DVMS for 3:45 dismissal. Thank you.
But wait, there’s more:
- Bake Sale!: Some of our Lower Elementary students are organizing a bake sale for elementary students to benefit the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA. It will take place during elementary lunch on Wednesday, April 6. If anyone would like to donate baked goods (no nuts please), please bring them in that morning.
- Personal Information Change Form: just a reminder that you can find this form under the Parents tab at dvms.ca. Please use this online form to let us know if anything has changed (phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses, etc.). Thank you.
- It’s been a very busy, short week so we don’t have a lot of photos, but here are a few goodies: