June 13-17! Whaaaat… The end of the school year is suddenly almost here. As you can see above, the kids are getting excited and thing are starting to get a little crazy around here.
As the end of the year approaches, we have one more favour to ask. This year, in lieu of year-end teacher gifts, DVMS staff would appreciate a donation, in the amount you may have spent on a gift, to help Serena through her ongoing cancer treatment process.
Thank You, Again.
First of all this week, we want to extend a huge THANK YOU to all of you, our fabulous Montessori parent community. This year’s Strata Benefit Soiree and Auction was a huge success because of you. Between ticket sales, raffle draws, your overwhelmingly generous donations of auction items, and your even more generous (and in some cases competitive) bids on the auction items, just over $11,000 was raised to ensure that Strata can remain an accessible, authentic, and exemplary Montessori adolescent program. This week, instead of pics of the kids, read to the bottom for a gallery of you all having a great time at SHED.
Our Lower Elementary Montessori students have been caring for some chicken eggs as part of their biology curriculum for the last little while. This week they started to hatch! Very, very exciting:
Both Elementary levels have their year-end trips this week:
- Lower Elementary students will be camping at Crieff Hills overnight, June 16-17. A letter with packing list and other details went home with your child last week; please keep the following in mind:
- Children will require a sleeping bag, so if it’s packed away or at the cottage you have some time to track it down. Less is best when packing. Please do not send sleeping pads or inflatable mattresses, camping chairs, etc.
- All electronic devices and toys are to be left at home.
- Their bus will leave DVMS at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday, June 16. They will leave Crieff at 1:30 on Friday, June 17, in order to be back at DVMS for regular pick up.
- Please remember they need a packed lunch for Thursday. Brown bagged with compostable wrappers, please (tupperware, additional lunch bags, and such will get lost).
- Upper Elementary students will be heading to Camp Nokomis from June 15 – 17, in Fergus, ON. Details and a packing list were emailed home today, and each child was given a hard copy of the packing list:
- Children will require a sleeping bag, so if it’s packed away or at the cottage you have some time to track it down.
- Camp Nokomis provides catering for their meals and dietary issues have already been communicated to them.
- All electronic devices are to be left at home.
- Their bus will depart DVMS at 8:30 a.m. on Wednesday, June 15. They will leave Camp Nokomis during the early afternoon of Friday, June 17, in order to be back at DVMS for regular pick up.
But wait, there’s more:
- The last day of regular school, and regular school hours, will be Thursday, June 23. Our annual year-end picnic BBQ will be at DVMS on Friday, June 24, from 10:00-2:00. More details next week.
- There has been a small change to the last week of summer camps (August 22-26): the new Casa student orientation camp has been moved to the following week, leaving the Aug. 22-26 week as a regular camp week for DVMS Casa-aged children with both half and full day options. If you would still like to sign your Casa child up for summer camp at DVMS, details and registration form can be found here.
- Another note on camps: there was no response indicating interest in an Elementary-level camp for the week of June 27-30, so there will be no Elementary camp that week.
As promised, this week we have pictures of you — good lookin’ Montessori Moms and Dads (and a few Grandmas and Grandpas, and family friends) having a great time for a great cause: