This past week was Casa East Montessori guide Stef’s last week before heading off to have her very first baby! They celebrated with apple crumble on Thursday. We will all miss our Stef very much, but are expecting lots of visits. Our all-purpose Montessori superstar substitute Christine Komarnycky will be filling in in Casa East until Shalyn returns from her maternity leave in a couple of weeks.
In other news, Happy Thanksgiving!
Speaking of eating…
DVMS/Strata 2016 Parent Dinner
Building community benefits our children extraordinarily. It is our belief, at DVMS and Strata, that building community works best when we have fun doing it. Our annual parent dinner has a well-earned reputation of being ‘more fun than it should be.’ Great food, great atmosphere, and great people. There are limited spaces this year as we are holding it at Strata, so please book early to avoid a disappointing Saturday night alone watching Netflix.
Look forward to seeing you there.
- Lower Elementary Swimming and Gymnastics: Lower Elementary students will be participating in swimming and gymnastics throughout October and November, starting on Friday, October 14.
- Swimming: students will be walking to and from the Dundas pool where they will participate in swimming lessons. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
- Gymnastics: students will be bussed to and from the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy in Ancaster. From the gym:
The kids will have the opportunity to learn gymnastics at a fully equipped gym with certified gymnastic instructors. Kids will be on Floor, Trampoline, Tumble Trak (50ft long trampoline) as well as mini trampoline and beam. They will learn safe landing positions, as well as basic gymnastics. Kids should wear shorts and t-shirt to the gym, have hair tied back and no jewellery (stud earrings are fine, no hoops or dangly earrings); no bare feet in the gym.
- The children will swim on either Monday or Friday, and gymnastics will also be on Fridays. We have made up a handy schedule you can print out and stick on the fridge (click on the “Open in new tab” arrow at the bottom right corner to expand and download):
- Upper Elementary Parkour: Upper Elementary students will be learning parkour on Friday, Oct. 14, 21, 28, and Nov. 11, with the fine folks from Play Project. Parkour will take place out of DVMS (no drop-offs, pick-ups, or bus times to keep track of). Students will be split into groups of 12 and will participate in turn throughout the day. (Nov. 11 will be a half-day parkour day as the kids will be at the Dundas Remembrance Day ceremony in the morning). Please make sure they wear or bring appropriate outdoor physical activity attire on parkour days. If it’s raining, they will be in the gym.
But wait, there’s more:
- School Photos: School photo proofs and order forms arrived this Friday morning! A number of them will be distributed today — see Skye at the front doors today or on Tuesday. The printers made a mistake: the order forms say the due date is Wednesday, but the due date for photo package orders is Friday, October 14. This is a strict deadline so that the photos can be returned to you in a timely manner. Thank you.
- Puppy, Coffee, Yummy Treats, and Shopping: Our friends at Strata Montessori Adolescent School have a new puppy. They have had great success training service dogs and were surprised with a new cute friend this past week:
Do you like puppies? Of course you do. You can say hi to Maui and watch him grow into a great service dog when you visit Strata’s Friday morning cafe each week (except this field trip Friday, which is a Strata PD day). You can also see Maui at the Strata Fall Sale on Oct. 29. Visit the Strata website often to see all the cool things they get up to.
- More Guide Dog Goodness: With the news of Strata’s new puppy, this lovely email we received from Chris at Strata a few days earlier made a lot more sense:
I don’t want to take up too much of your time but I wanted to acknowledge the amazing work [Lower Elementary North Montessori guide] Carol has done with Innis this year.
At the meet and greet for Guide Dog Foster Families last night, I was able to meet the 13-year-old adolescent who is now Innis’s best friend. It nearly broke my heart as she spoke about not being able to make friendships, about being bullied, beat up, and pushed to the point of not being able to go out because she “isn’t normal.” She spoke about how much having Innis means to her and how she feels she can stand up again! We stayed late, and I watched Siddrha and Kira sit and speak with this young girl about her new dog, music, video games, and all those things teens talk about. This was a great opportunity for them to be the kind and caring young adults and, hopefully, the first of many positive interactions for this new guide dog owner.
I know first hand how much work and effort it takes to raise a puppy to become an Autism Guide Dog; they are the most work but offer the biggest rewards. Only the best dogs are put into the Autism stream and there is presently a 2 year waiting list!
So, as someone who has been through it… congratulations, Carol, for selflessly taking a year out of your life to give someone else a gift that will change their life for the next decade. It’s amazing to see the change it has made in just a few short hours.
- Bake Sale!: Believe it or not, some of our elementary students are arranging a bake sale! It will be for Lower and Upper Elementary students and will take place during their lunch period on Thursday, October 13. If anyone would like to bake some yummy, nut free, treats to donate to the bake sale, they ask that you please bring them in on Thursday morning in a labelled container. Thank you.
- Lice!: This week, we performed our annual back to school head lice checks. A few of you received sigh-inducing phone calls, but besides being a bit of a pain to deal with head lice are common amongst children and are nothing to be upset or worried about. If your child does get head lice, they are required to be absent from school until 24 hours after the first treatment is applied (that and other helpful illness-related info from Hamilton Public Health can be found here at dvms.ca). We also share this info sheet from Public Health (click “Open in new tab” arrow at bottom right to expand):
Fun Family Events:
- We have been telling you about the 4th Annual Hamilton Walk for Down Syndrome for the last couple of weeks. It took place last Sunday and Owen’s mom shared this wonderful photo (via Ladeebug Photography) of two of Owen’s classmates taking part. Thank you girls.
- It’s the Thanksgiving long weekend. Have fun feasting and napping, and closing up cottages, and visiting, and hosting visitors, and napping some more.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
This week’s Montessori goodness: