We’re trying something new with this “Events and Info” — we’re going to make this opening section a digest of what’s included so you can know up front if there is anything pertaining directly to you and your children (and to give you a tease of the fabulous content you’re about to read as you wrap up work on Friday afternoon, settle down with a glass of wine on Friday night, or sip on a coffee on Saturday or Sunday morning).
This week, we’ve got details about the end of first term and the Holiday concert, the end of Elementary Friday activities, trips to a play for Lower and Upper students, a baseball tournament in December, some observers at DVMS, donating the lost and found items, student-led holiday food and toy drives, and a funny picture of Terrence. Oh, and lots of other pictures too ‘cuz there weren’t any last week. Enjoy.
The program’s coming together, stage design is underway, and the songs are being sung. The Holiday Concert will take place on Friday, December 23. There is no school that day (the last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 22).
Children should be dropped off at DVMS between 8:45-9:00 on Friday, Dec.23, when they will go to their Montessori environments to get ready and run any last minute rehearsals.
- Parents are invited to stay at DVMS to browse the Strata Market and enjoy some delectables from their Café.
- The big show will run from 9:30 to 10:30ish, after which Strata will re-open their Café for last-minute treats and chats before we head off for the winter break.
- If you or your child is not able to attend the concert this year, please let your child’s Montessori guides know.
- There is no school or performance for Toddler Community children this day, but they are invited to come with you to watch.
- We are back on January 9 this year (well, next year).
- All Elementary Friday activities are now finished until the new year.
- However, we did manage to catch a few shots of some of the Upper Elementary kids, and Terrence, during ballet week:
- Snow Queen: Still over a week away, but just so you know, Lower and Upper Elementary children will be attending a performance of “Snow Queen” at Hamilton Academy of the Performing Arts — our old church school — at 108 Park St. W., in Dundas. The children will walk to and from the performance and will have lunch a half-hour earlier. They will be back at DVMS for regular dismissal.
- Lower Elementary children will attend the performance on Monday, December 12.
- Upper Elementary children will attend the performance on Tuesday, December 13.
- Elementary Baseball Tournament: Blue Jay fever is still running strong. A couple of our Lower Elementary boys are organizing a baseball tournament for Lower and Upper Elementary students on Wednesday, Dec. 7, during recess. Besides fun, they are also holding the tournament to raise money for the Lower Elementary community fund; cost is $1.00 to enter and kids can sign up at school. Children participating should bring a baseball glove.
But wait, there’s more:
- Observers at DVMS: You may occasionally hear that someone was in your child’s class during the day. DVMS has visiting observers most weeks. More often than not these are prospective parents, like you were once, learning a little more about DVMS and Montessori. Other times, like this past week, we have observers come in from other Montessori schools or Montessori training centres. This week, we had observers from Clanmore Montessori School in Oakville, Northstar Montessori School in Mississauga, Beyond Montessori School in St. Catherines, Lyonsgate Montessori School here in Hamilton, and a Montessori guide-in-training from the Toronto Montessori Institute.
- Lost and Found Donation: At the end of each term (coming up soon), we donate all unclaimed, unlabeled items in the lost and found. (Labeled items are returned to the lost and found). Please make sure you have a good look through for long lost coats, sweaters, hats, gloves and mittens, lunch bags and tupperware, sunglasses, assorted bits of jewellery, and other treasures; there are a surprising number of pants in the lost and found right now.
- Food and Toy Drives: Our Lower and Upper Elementary groups have organized some holiday charity drives. Donation bins and boxes are in the foyer starting Monday.
- DVMS Lower Elementary Food Drive: the Lower Elementary students will be collecting non-perishable food for the Salvation Army. The food drive will run from Dec. 5 – 21, and their goal is 200 pounds of food.
- DVMS Upper Elementary Toy Drive: the Upper Elementary classes are collecting new, unwrapped toys for Mission Services of Hamilton. The toy drive will run from Dec. 5 – 16.
Casa children can be involved as well. Nurture their budding charitable impulses by having them pick some food to donate from the pantry or grocery store, or by choosing a toy to purchase and donate. Thank you in advance DVMS community; you always overwhelm us (and the receiving organizations) with your donations and kindness.
- Terrence is a Pig: Continuing the subtle theme of funny pictures of Terrence this week, you all know that Upper East Montessori guide Terrence was part of the recent “Shrek: The Musical” performance; well, here’s a funny picture (Terrence is on the right):
Fun Family Events:
- Free Skating at Hamilton City Hall: Kickoff: Friday, December 2, 2:00 to 9:00 pm; and Saturday, December 3 through Friday, December 9, 12:00 to 7:00 pm.
A temporary synthetic ice rink will be open to the public on December 2 from 2 to 9 pm, and will continue to run December 3 to 9, from noon to 7 pm each day. The public are welcome to bring their own skates and are encouraged to bring hockey helmets. Skates are available to rent free of charge (with a credit card, driver’s licence, or other government issued ID). Bring the whole family and take to the ice at City Hall this season. The rink is free to use and skate rentals are available free of charge. Some restrictions may apply.
- The Nutcracker: The Hamilton Academy of Performing Arts presents “The Nutcracker” at the McIntyre Theatre, Mohawk College. Dates are Friday December 2, at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, December 3, at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Evening performances are with the Hamilton City Ballet Orchestra. There are some DVMS students in this production that your kids might recognize. Only a couple of performances remaining!
Tickets are $15 to $30 and can be purchased at www.onstagedirect.com
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
As promised, lots of photos of your incredible kids this week: