This is it, the last “Events and Info” until the new year (remember, we’re back on January 9, 2017). Here’s what we have for you (details for all below):
- Parent Education Night the first week back: Wednesday, Jan. 11, 5:30-7:00.
- Parent Observations and Parent-Teacher Interviews the second week back.
- Holiday Concert details.
- New DVMS clothing now available to order from dvms.ca.
- Lost and found is being donated.
- A European.
- Lower Elementary Joy Day.
- Toddler Holiday Sing-a-Long Postponement.
- Strata Holiday Market this Saturday: 10:00-2:00 at Strata.
- Snowy recess pics and photos of the kids being social.
Parent Education Night Info and Childcare Sign-up
We will be holding a Parent Education Night on Wednesday, January 11. This event — “Montessori Outcomes” — will run from 5:30-7:00, childcare will be available, and there will be wine and hors d’ouvres. Save the date!
Childcare will be provided by Strata Montessori. For $10/child they will provide pizza, fun, and love. If you would like to sign up for Strata childcare at DVMS, please click here.
Observation and Interview Sign-up
Parent Observations and Parent-Teacher Interviews will take place the week of Jan. 16-20.
- Observations will take place on the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Please click here to sign up for your 20 minute observation. To preserve the integrity of the Montessori environments, we ask that only parents attend the observation sessions. Thank you.
- Interviews will take place on the Thursday evening and the Friday morning. There is no school on Friday, January 20, due to the interviews. Please click here to select your Parent-Teacher Interview slot.
The Holiday Concert will take place on Friday, December 23. There is no school that day (the last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 22).
Children should be dropped off at DVMS between 8:45-9:00 on Friday, Dec.23, when they will go to their Montessori environments to get ready and run any last minute rehearsals.
- Parents are invited to stay at DVMS to browse the Strata Market and enjoy some delectables from their Café.
- The big show will run from 9:30 to 10:30ish, after which Strata will re-open their Café for last-minute treats and chats before we head off for the winter break.
- If you or your child is not able to attend the concert this year, please let your child’s Montessori guides know.
- There is no school or performance for Toddler Community children this day, but they are invited to come with you to watch.
- Lower Elementary students are asked to please wear dark (black or navy) on the bottom and a festive/holiday colour on top.
- We are back on January 9 this year (well, next year).
- To help the Lowers meet and exceed their 200 pound food donation goal, we are asking that each family bring a non-perishable food donation for admission to the concert. Thank you.
But wait, there’s more:
- It Snowed!: (and it’s cold now; please remember to dress children for the weather each day — and no knit/cloth mitts or gloves please). We snapped a few pics of the first snowy recess:
- DVMS Logo Clothing: You’ve had a chance to look through the new DVMS clothing we’ve had in the foyer this week, and order forms have gone home. Now, you can view the clothing, print the order form, and pay online. The deadline for this first set of orders is Tuesday, Dec. 20 (clothing should arrive mid-late January).
- Donations Update:
- Upper Elementary Toy Drive: Tighten up those heart strings, ‘cuz we’re about to tug ’em. So far you have donated three boxes full of new, unwrapped toys. Thank you! The toys will be going to children living in a shelter for abused women and who attend the Mission Services Christmas Dinner. I’m kinda crying a bit writing this. Let’s go above and beyond DVMS community! We are accepting last minute donations until the end of the day on Monday.
- Lower Elementary Food Drive: Tears dry and able to read again? Ok. So far you have donated 163 pounds of food for the Salvation Army. Amazing! To help the Lowers meet and exceed their 200 pound food donation goal, we are asking that each family bring a non-perishable food donation for admission to the concert.
- Lost and Found: Remember to take a good look through the lost and found this week. Everything that remains in the lost and found and is not labeled will be donated over the break. Each class will come down and take a look through, and we’ll be sure to have everything laid out one day for you all to browse.
- Upper Elementary Observer: A couple weeks ago we told you about the numerous observers we host, both parents and educators, to learn more about DVMS and Montessori. Well, we’ve expanded our reach. Upper Elementary East will be hosting a Montessorian-in-training from the Czech Republic Feb. 27 – March 10. Pavlos Gurutidis is training at FCISM (Fondazione Centro Internazionale Studi Montessoriani | International Centre for Montessori Studies Foundation) in Bergamo, Italy, and is even staying with a DVMS staff family while here. This is the second time DVMS has hosted Montessori training students from Europe.
- Lower Elementary Joy Day: On Thursday, December 22, our Lower Elementary classes will hold their annual Joy Day: a day when students are buddied up and asked to bring a decorated snack/treat (ex. a candy cane that looks like a reindeer, a cookie wrapped up in colourful paper) to enjoy while playing with board games brought in from home. If your child will be absent for this event please let us know ASAP. Remember, no nuts please!
- Toddler Sing-a-Long Postponed: All of you Toddler Community parents should have received an email, but just in case it got lost in overcrowded inboxes:
Unfortunately, due to several people from our class off due to illness, including one of our guides, we have made the difficult decision to postpone our Holiday Sing-A-Long to Monday, December 19th. Same time. Same place. We apologize for the late notice, however, we were hoping that the outcome would be different and people would be on the mend.We hope everyone that is under the weather will have the weekend to recover and be ready to celebrate at our Sing-A-Long on Monday afternoon at 2:45 p.m.
Fun Family Events:
- Strata Holiday Market: this Saturday, Dec. 17, alongside Cafe. The Market opens up at 10:00 and ends at 2:00. We are selling an arrangement of holiday themed items, such as ornaments, whipped gingerbread sugar scrub, and so much more! We hope to see you there!
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
In the spirit of the season, we tried to capture some moments of your kids interacting with each other this week (as well as a few other Montessori environment pics). Montessori is about much more than academics, although we do that well. Montessori children have the opportunity to socialize throughout their work cycles, whether it be work-related or a short chat about other interests and stories. Socialization is an element of educating the whole child: cognitive, physical, emotional, and social. Enjoy!