DVMS Casa Summer Camp sign-up is now available
An important message about Elementary gym
Casa Field Trip May 5 (no school for Casa students; parent accompaniment required)
Kristy and Claire
Strata Supper Club 2
Lower North Project Shoppin’
DVMS Summer Casa Camps
DVMS Summer Casa Camp registration is now available. Casa camp is open to children who have completed their first year of Casa (approx. ages 3 1/2 to 6). Half day and full day options are available. Cost is $140/week for half days and $250/week for full days. Once you have submitted your form, you must come into DVMS to sign the hard copy and drop off payment (or post dated cheques for each camp week).
- Upper and Lower Elementary Gym This Week: both Upper and Lower Elementary classes will be doing something a little different and exciting for their regularly scheduled phys. ed. classes this coming week (April 24-28).
Lower Elementary: (Lower South (Noeleen/Joanna) Tuesday; Lower North (Jodi/Carol) Thursday) will be going on a short hike; please help them ensure they are wearing or bring weather-appropriate clothing.
Upper Elementary: (Upper East (Terrence) Monday; Upper West (Kathleen) Wednesday) will be biking; please help them remember to ride or bring their bikes and helmets to school on their gym day and to dress appropriately for weather. If your child does not have a bike or does not want to ride, they will still accompany their class in hiked stages.
- Lower Elementary Zumba: Lower Elementary students are participating in Zumba, at DVMS, with Maria Isabel Garcia Castro of Maisa Fitness, who has been leading these high-energy classes at DVMS for a number of years. They will have Zumba at DVMS on the afternoons of Friday, April 21, 28, and May 5 and 12. Please ensure children wear or bring clothing they can move and groove in on Zumba days.
- Upper Elementary: Upper Elementary students are continuing Ultimate frisbee, at DVMS, on Friday, April 28, and Friday, May 5 and 12. Please help them remember to bring or wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing and footwear (lightning is the only thing that stops Ultimate!) and their water bottle.
- MMUN Update: As our sixth-year Upper Elementary students prepare for their big trip to the Montessori Model United Nations next month, we want to keep you all updated on their preparation progress. Over the past couple of weeks, the MMUN student delegates have completed the first round of their position papers and all have been submitted to the conference organizers. The next step is to transfer the paper into a speech and continue practicing the rules of order for a United Nations committee meeting. There are 17 school days until the Montessori Model United Nations delegation leaves for Perdue University in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The Kid’s Cafe Bake Sales have been wildly successful and we appreciate all of the support from the DVMS community.
Also, Upper Elementary speeches are coming up. All Upper students will be giving speeches as extensions of the MMUN work: Kathleen’s class, Upper Elementary West, on May 10 and Terrence’s class, Upper Elementary East, on May 11. Speeches will begin at 9:30 a.m. on both days and the presentation order will be determined on speech day.In case you want to check in over the weekend, the rough drafts of their speeches are due on Monday, April 24. More details next week.
But wait, there’s more:
- Casa Field Trip Friday May 5: At Beamer Memorial Conservation Area, on Quarry Rd., in Grimsby, from 10:00 – 12:00. All DVMS Casa students will spend the morning at Beamer, with their parents and their Montessori guides. This will be a spring hike to enjoy nature. This will not be a guided tour, just a hike of this world-renowned official Important Bird Area, including the hawk watch tower (bring binoculars if you wish). Beamer is “Renowned as the best vantage point in the Niagara Peninsula to observe the annual spring hawk migration.”
What to bring: Hiking shoes, water bottles, and a packed lunch to eat at the picnic area as a group after the hike (not mandatory but there is nothing available on site).
*Parking available. *Younger siblings are welcome to accompany you. *Wheelchair and stroller accessible. *Washrooms available.
*No rain date. If it is raining on the day of the field trip, we will make a call the morning of and let you know; if it is cancelled, it will be a regular school day at DVMS.
*Map to Beamer.
*There is no school in the afternoon following the field trip.
- Casa Workshop: The next Casa Workshop is coming up on Thursday, April 27, from 3:30-4:00. This workshop will focus on the Culture area of the Montessori environment. As always, children are welcome to stay on the playground until you are finished learning, and please go directly to your child’s Montessori environment at 3:30. (Note to Casa East parents: Elizabeth will be away for this workshop as she has a follow-up appointment for her ankle that she broke last year; Shalyn will lead the Casa East workshop).
- Kristy/Claire: As you all know, Toddler guide Kristy went on leave this week to begin her cancer treatments. Thank you to all those who have signed up for the Meal Train to provide Kristy’s family with delicious, home-cooked meals on her treatment days. We will have more opportunities to provide meals, or other ways to help, as needed and requested. In the meantime, we have had the great fortune of finding Claire Cairns to come in and take over while Kristy is away. Claire has been a Montessori assistant since the early 1980s and just happened to be free when we needed her most.
- Strata Supper Club 2: Asian Sensation: Come join us at Strata for a night of Asian cuisine. Our first supper was a grand success — sold out and a good time had by all. We are now one step (or flight) closer to our goal. We’re raising money to help send our third year students to the Montessori Education for Social Change Conference in Prague. This is a follow up to the International Summit that took place at Strata Montessori School this week. The students will be delivering a manifesto on Food Justice. You can learn more about the conference here.The 2nd supper will be an Asian Sensation — a night to celebrate a diverse appetite. The cost is $75 per person and will include cuisine from 4 different countries: chicken satay from Thailand, dumplings from China, sushi from Japan, and phö from Vietnam. We will also be offering a specialty cocktail, and wine and beer pairings. Vegetarian and gluten free options are also available.
- Lower North Projects: Some of the children in Lower Elementary North are finishing up projects on different countries. Please check in with them this weekend as they may need tri-fold presentation boards; some students are also planning to prepare some country-specific recipes and may need to do a little grocery shopping.
- A Note from Food For Tots: Our hot lunch provider sent the following note this week:
Food Safety is a priority at Food for Tots and we want to ensure that our customers are confident in the food we are providing. Recently the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) issued a recall of the following products:
Various Brands of Flour:
Product details are available here.
Please be advised that Food for Tots does not use or carry any of these products in any of our recipes.
Fun Family Events:
- Sunday, SunDAY, SUNDAY!: (and Saturday too) Just in time for Earth Day weekend, it’s Monster Jam. Click here for info and tickets.
This Monster Jam® series is a points-based format that showcases the best lineup of Monster Jam vehicles that deliver what fans want to see most…more trucks, more racing, more freestyle, more donuts, more wheelies, more action!
- Greensville Spring Clean-Up: Saturday, April 22, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Click here for more info
Please join us at Efcom Ltd for a few hours of spring cleaning!
- We will match up volunteers with a vehicle and driver if required.
- Routes are assigned and after your done come back to Efcom for free lunch.
- Please bring work gloves and suitable footware. We will have gloves available if you don’t have some.
- Route length varies but most people are done in an hour.
- We usually go rain or shine unless it is storming.
- Efcom is located at the corner of Brock Rd and Harvest rd in downtown Greensville.
- Earth Day Tree-Planting Festival: Saturday, April 22, 10:00 a.m., rain or shine, at Churchill Park in Westdale. Click here for website. “New this year: electronics and textile recycling.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Another short week with not much opportunity to get into the classrooms, so not as many photos from all classes, but some good ones!