What’s coming up and going on:
Thursday, May 18, Parent Education Evening
Upper Soccer Game
Upper Mother’s Day Tea
Grandparents’ Day Sign-up
Friday, May 19, is a PD Day
Monday, May 22, is the Victoria Day statutory holiday
Strata Benefit Date
Open House at Hamilton Museums
How to Raise an Amazing Child through Montessori Education & Montessori Parenting
DVMS Parent Education Evening, Thursday, May 18, 7:00 to 8:30 (please arrive by 6:30 for for wine and hors d’oeurves social).
At our last Parent Education Evening, and during our own staff professional development day this year, DVMS developed a Learner Profile. We want to give some depth to the Learner Profile and, with that in mind, we are presenting an incredible evening with two of Canada’s most recognized and experienced Montessori practitioners (Margaret Whitley and Pat Gere), and a Montessori graduate, to help you understand how a Montessori ‘life’ creates engaged learners — and leads to adults who are capable, caring, and contributing.
Please join us for an incredible Parent Education Evening. It would be hard to find two Montessori professionals who have a deeper understanding of how high quality Montessori practice leads to the kind of outcomes all of us hope for for our children.
Childcare is available.
- Lower Elementary Zumba: Lower Elementary students are participating in Zumba, at DVMS, with Maria Isabel Garcia Castro of Maisa Fitness, who has been leading these high-energy classes at DVMS for a number of years. Their remaining Zumba session is on Friday, May 12. Please ensure children wear or bring clothing they can move and groove in on Zumba days. (Lower students will begin Ultimate frisbee, at DVMS, on Friday, May 26).
- Upper Elementary Ultimate: Upper Elementary students conclude Ultimate frisbee, at DVMS, on Friday, May 12. Please help them remember to bring or wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing and footwear (lightning is the only thing that stops Ultimate!) and their water bottle. (Upper students will begin tennis, at Dundas Driving Park, on Friday, May 26. More details re. drop-off and pick-up next week).
- Upper Elementary Speeches: All Upper students will be giving speeches as extensions of the MMUN work:
- Kathleen’s class, Upper Elementary West, on Wednesday, May 10.
- Terrence’s class, Upper Elementary East, on Thursday, May 11.
Speeches will begin at 9:30 a.m. on both days and the presentation order will be determined on speech day; the speech presentations are expected to last approximately one hour, each day. As always, parents are welcome to attend and we ask that, if you do attend to view the speeches, please plan to stay for the entire set of speeches (9:30-10:30). The children are often nervous and having audience members move in and out of the gym during their speeches can be a disruption and a distraction. Thank you for understanding.
- Upper Elementary Soccer: Upper Elementary students are welcome to participate in a soccer game with Fairview Glen Montessori, at DVMS, on the morning of Wednesday, May 24. We will have 3 soccer practices: Tuesdays May 9, 16, and 23, after school, from 3:45-5:00. Participants will need to attend 2 out of 3 practices if they wish to participate in the game. Please bring soccer shoes, shin pads, and a water bottle, if possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DVMS Phys. Ed. specialist Colin Fox at via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upper Elementary Mother’s Day Tea: Both Upper Elementary classes will be hosting their wonderful moms for lovely tea and treats on Monday, May 15, from 10:00-11:30. We hope all the Upper Elementary moms can find time to drop in for some well-deserved love and appreciation.
- MMUN Update: The sixth-year Upper Elementary students remain busy preparing for their trip to the Montessori Model United Nations conference in May. Only a week and a half until they leave! The DVMS delegates learned more about meeting rules of order this week. The rules of order at the 2017 MMUN conference have changed. Typically, Model United Nations use the parliamentary rules of order where motions are made and voted on in order to make resolutions. Now, all meetings will be aimed at reaching consensus without voting to help promote inclusion and create resolutions that are based in reality rather than idealistic improbabilities. The MMUN rules of order now mirror the the United Nations Rules of Order. The students also have an idea of the difference between how decisions are made in Canada’s parliament versus how decisions made at the United Nations.
Parents: please continue to drop off the required travel documents; a Strata parent who is a lawyer will be at DVMS on Tuesday, May 9, at 9:00, to notarize travel letters, if you need. DO NOT sign the letters prior to meeting with Sandra, she must witness you sign them.
But wait, there’s more:
- Grandparents’ Day Friday May 26: This day is always a bit chaotic, but more fun than every other day. Grandparents are welcome to visit their grandchildren in their Montessori environments during the morning work cycle. Please click here to schedule grandparent visits. A Request Please: if children will be leaving with grandparents, please schedule their departure from DVMS to coincide with their lunch or recess break and let the kids (and grandparents) know what the plan is; this is the best way for everyone to avoid tears. The Toddler Community is not a part of Grandparents’ Day — many much tears when grandparents leave
- Reminder for PD Day and Victoria Day: Just a reminder that Friday, May 19, is a PD Day and Monday, May 22, is the Victoria Day statutory holiday. DVMS is closed both days. DVMS staff will be attending the CCMA (Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators) annual conference (ignore the registration page) in Toronto on the Friday.
- Yearbook: The Yearbook Club is hard at work designing this year’s edition. It’s going to be a beautiful 80-page hardcover book this year and you can pre-order today for $45 online at dvms.fluidmedia.com . Not only will you receive a handsome keepsake, but you’ll also have access to the Digital Edition that features extended photos, videos, and music that you can playback on the computing device of your choice. Ordering only takes a minute, and the books will arrive during the last week of school for signing.
- Save the Date for Strata Benefit: This year’s Strata Montessori benefit event will take place on Thursday, June 15. The date coincides with both the Upper and Lower Elementary year-end camping trips, so babysitters are taken of for Elementary children (and babysitters are cheaper for those with younger siblings; sorry Casa- and Toddler-only families, we can’t send them away for you, yet). More exciting details to come.
Fun Family Events:
- Canada 150 Open House at Hamilton Civic Museums: May 6 & 7 from 12 to 4 pm
Hamilton Civic Museums, and Auchmar Estate at Fennel and West 5th, are unveiling exhibits and hidden treasures to commemorate Canada 150 celebrations. Admission is free for two days only!
- Roller Derby: Saturday, May 6, presented by: Hammer City Roller Derby. Doors open at 5:00, bouts at 6:00 and 8:00. High accessibility location. Free Wi-Fi. Free Parking. Free admission for kids 13 and under. HCRD’s bouts are a safe space for all people.Tickets are $13 in advance online, $15 at the door. Children 13 and under are free. Local ticket outlets, including Dr. Disc, Hammer City Records, This Ain’t Hollywood, at the venue on game day.
Veggie Fest Hamilton: Saturday, May 6, 10:00 – 6:00. Click here for more.
Hamilton’s vegetarian, vegan and raw food festival. Speakers, exhibitors, and an entire day of yoga. Family friendly activities and veg speed dating. Free parking.
Ancaster Fessenden Annual Mud Run: All this rain is good for something! Click here for info.
What: 1km Fun Run on wooded and muddy trails
Where: Lions Club Pool on Jerseyville Road
When: Saturday, May 6 – 11:00am Rain or Shine!
Registration fee: $5 per child (parents are FREE!)
Registration is at the event starting at 10am
First 100 kids receive a treat
What to bring: change of clothes and shoes, garbage bags, towels (your child
will get dirty) and a smile!
- Engelbert Humperdinck – 50th Anniversary Tour: One for parent date nights. Sunday, May 7.
His unique voice has charmed millions of fans around the globe. However, it’s not just the voice, but the man himself, with his endearing sense of humor and self-deprecating jokes. Engelbert has managed to strike a new chord with a younger generation after appearing on MTV several times. Time: 7:30. Dinner Packages available: visit website
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Montessori materials and activities are designed to help children find a state of deep concentration and focus (What Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls “Flow “). This week, a lot of hiding and zoom lens-ing captured your Montessori children at all levels deeply engaged with and focused on their work. Lots of tongues and furrowed brows — the Deep Thoughts edition.