It’s the long weekend! Have great family adventures DVMS community, and we’ll see you on Tuesday.
MMUN in Action
Joanna’s Having a Baby Now
Toddler Garden Party
Upper Soccer vs. Fairview Glen
Summer Camps, Summer Camp Counselors, and late-June Art Camp at DVSA
Movin’ On Up
Ticks (don’t worry)
Fire Dept. Visit
Shoes and Sandals and Lost and Found
DVMS Family Movie Night
Touch-A-Truck (for Paul ;))
RBG Nature Connects
Waterdown Arts and Music Streetfest
Friday, May 26, 9:00-11:00
This day is always a bit chaotic, but more fun than every other day. Grandparents are welcome to visit their grandchildren in their Montessori environments during the morning work cycle. Please click here to schedule grandparent visits. A Request Please: if children will be leaving with grandparents, please schedule their departure from DVMS to coincide with their lunch or recess break and let the kids (and grandparents) know what the plan is; this is the best way for everyone to avoid tears. The Toddler Community is not a part of Grandparents’ Day — many much tears when grandparents leave
- Lower Elementary Ultimate: Lower Elementary students will be playing Ultimate Frisbee, at DVMS, beginning on Friday, May 26, and continuing on June 2 and 9. Please help them remember to bring or wear weather-appropriate athletic clothing and footwear. This is their last Friday activity of the year! Once Ultimate ends, they go camping the following week, then it’s the last week of school.
- Upper Elementary Tennis: Upper Elementary students begin tennis at the Dundas Tennis Club, located in Dundas’s Driving Park, on Friday, May 26. If your child has a tennis racket, please have them bring it; if not, DVMS will supply rackets. Tennis-playin’-appropriate clothing and shoes, and their water bottles, are also required.
- Upper Elementary West (Kathleen) will play tennis on Friday mornings. Please drop your Upper West child off at Driving Park between 8:30-9:00 on tennis days. They will walk back to DVMS for lunch.
- Upper Elementary East (Terrence) will play tennis on Friday afternoons. They will have an early lunch and walk to Driving Park for 1:00. They will walk back to DVMS for dismissal at 3:45. If you would like to pick your child up from Driving Park, please be there no later than 3:00.
- NOTE re. Friday, May 26, Grandparents’ Day: children in Upper Elementary West (Kathleen) who have grandparents coming to visit will accompany Upper East to tennis in the afternoon.
- MMUN in Action: You’ve been reading all about their preparation work, and buying their cookies and cupcakes, and now our year 6 Upper Elementary Montessori students are at their model U.N. conference. Check out some of the early action here, here, and here. Keep an eye on the DVMS Facebook page for more updates.
But wait, there’s more:
- Casa Workshop: The final Casa Workshop of the year will take place on Thursday, May 25, from 3:30-4:00. The focus of this workshop will be “What to Do Over the Summer” to ensure your Montessori child returns to school in September in the best position to succeed. Please go directly to Casa East — Elizabeth’s and Shalyn’s room; the first one as you turn the corner — at 3:30; we will meet as one big group for this workshop. Children and younger siblings are welcome to play on the playground until the workshop is over (no aftercare charges until 4:30 that day).
- Joanna’s Off to Have a Baby: This was Lower South Montessori guide Joanna’s last week before she heads off on maternity leave. As her daughter helpfully pointed out to us this week, in case you were wondering but didn’t want to ask, “There’s a baby in there”:
Lower Elementary French specialist Michael Rode will be covering the rest of the year in Lower South. We wish Joanna and family all the best, and I’m sure we’ll have adorable baby photos for you soon. Have fun Joanna!
- Toddler Garden Party: Parents and grandparents of the children in the Toddler Community are welcome to join us for our second annual garden party, from 2:30-3:30 on Friday, May 26. Drinks, snacks, and toddler-style entertainment are on the agenda. See you there.
- Upper Elementary Soccer Game: Upper Elementary students are welcome to participate in a soccer game with Fairview Glen Montessori, at DVMS, on the morning of Wednesday, May 24. We will have 3 soccer practices: Tuesdays May 9, 16, and 23, after school, from 3:45-5:00. Participants will need to attend 2 out of 3 practices if they wish to participate in the game. Please bring soccer shoes, shin pads, and a water bottle, if possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DVMS Phys. Ed. specialist Colin Fox at via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Camps: DVMS Summer Casa Camp is open to children who have completed their first year of Casa (approx. age 3 1/2 to 6). Half day and full day options are available. Cost is $140/week for half days and $250/week for full days. Once you have submitted your form, you must come into DVMS to sign the hard copy and drop off payment (or post dated cheques for each camp week).You can register for DVMS Summer Casa Camp by clicking here.
- AND, Summer Camp Counselor Positions: Year 6 Upper Elementary students are welcome, if they wish, to submit resumes to Kathleen to apply for a camp counselor position for one of the 8 camp weeks at DVMS this summer. If they get through the first stage, there will be an interview with Kathleen. These positions are open to Strata students too, so competition may be fierce!
- AND, Dundas Valley School of Art Camp: A “Before Summer Art Camp” for Dundas Valley Montessori students ages 4+ — for the week between end of school and beginning of DVMS Summer Casa Camps. More info and online registration can be found here (from the “Classes” dropdown menu, select “Summer Camps” and add either the morning or afternoon, or both for full days, “Head StART! A Montessori Program” options to your cart. Click the image below for larger version of their info poster. From DVSA:
Taught by qualified, professional artists, our Summer Art Camps encourage originality and are designed to develop your child’s creative literacy and art skills – all in a fun and supportive studio environment. Let your young artist explore and create at their own pace, free to choose what they want to express at a variety of creative stations that include Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture/Building projects and much more.
- Movin’ On Up, May 29-June 1: DVMS Montessori students who are moving up to the next level in September will be spending a few mornings visiting and working in Montessori environments at that level. They will visit all environments at the next level. Be sure to ask them about their big adventures.
- Toddler children moving to Casa have begun visiting the Casa environments to gather Casa materials to work with in their familiar Toddler Community space.
- Year 6 Upper Elementary students will visit Strata Montessori on Monday, May 29, Tuesday, May 30, and Thursday, June 1. Please drop your Upper child off at Strata for a full day; Strata’s day runs from 8:30-4:00. [NOTE: on the Monday, they will be canoeing in the morning with Strata Guides. Barring lightning, this event will be rain or shine so please dress appropriately and pack a lunch; they will be provided lunch at Strata on the other days].
- Ticks (don’t worry): It’s the time of year to keep an eye out for ticks. Hamilton Public Health has a good page on ticks and lyme disease; be sure to check it out if you have questions about ticks. The summary highlight:
In Hamilton, the most common type of tick found is the American Dog tick. American Dog ticks cannot transmit Lyme disease. Ticks are bugs that sit on tall grass and bushes until they attach themselves to a person or animal passing by.
- Fire Dept. Visit: The Hamilton Fire Dept. will be visiting DVMS on Wednesday, May 24. This is their annual fire safety school visit and they will be presenting to the Elementary-level (and maybe some of the 3rd-year Casa) children. Might be a good time to go over fire safety plans at home too.
- Shoes and Sandals and Lost and Found and Stuff: Hey, it’s just like summer now. That means lots of abandoned sweaters in the lost and found. Please take a look. Also, please note that children are required to wear shoes and socks at school for both hygiene and safety purposes; no open-toed sandals please.
Fun Family Events:
- DVMS Family Movie Night: Some of our 5th-year Upper Elementary Montessori students are organizing a Family Movie Night, at DVMS, on Friday, June 2, from 5:45-8:15. They will be showing the movie Boss Baby. Admission to movie night $1.00/person, and they will also be selling pizza slices, candy cups, chips, popcorn, fruit punch, and water. All proceeds will go to the McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation. All family members are invited to attend and you are welcome to bring blankets and pillows and wear PJs. Elementary children may be dropped off to attend with their friends if you are comfortable doing so; Casa and Toddler children must have at least one parent attend with them. Please let the students know if you will be coming by filling in this quick attendance and pizza form.
- Touch-A-Truck: Saturday, May 27, 10:00-3:00 at Ancaster Fairgrounds. One of our Montessori dads was in the office this week telling us how much
hehis kids love this event. Click here for details.
Join us for the 8th Annual Touch a Truck Event at the Ancaster Fairgrounds. Saturday May 27th, 2017 from 10am – 3pm. Get up close and personal with vehicles of all descriptions. Meet the drivers. Ask all those questions you have been curious to know the answers to. All proceeds from this event go to support education in our community. This event is presented in partnership with the Ancaster Agriculutural Society, Queen’s Rangers Public School & Theatre Ancaster. Admission is $5, Kids 23 months and younger are free!
- RBG Nature Connects: Opening on Saturday, May 20. Click here for info and tickets.
Building with LEGO bricks is about balance and connections, much like the biodiversity of Royal Botanical Gardens. Nature Connects takes the beauty of RBG’s natural world and puts it on display using the world’s most popular building block, creating a fun and inspiring exhibit that teaches people of all ages the importance of connecting with nature.
- Waterdown Arts and Music Streetfest: May 19 – 21. Click here for details.
So much music, so much fun. Every year during the May long weekend, music takes over Waterdown Memorial Park.
The award winning Arts and Music festival features craft vendors, food trucks, family zone, beer and wine garden, roaming buskers, dance groups and an eclectic combination of emerging artists, blasts from the past and current performers.
- Victoria Day Fireworks: Sunday, May 21, 2017 at Dundas Driving Park. Live music and food trucks will be on site starting at 6:00 p.m. Professional fireworks display will begin at 9:30 p.m., weather permitting. Click here for more details.
- Know of any fun family events coming up that our Montessori community would enjoy? Let us know.
Back to an assortment of Montessori-in-action pics this week, and we managed to capture a few pics of morning drop-off; maybe you’re in there. Enjoy!