This is it, the final “Events and Info” of the 2016-2017 school year. Thank you for reading along and enjoying the photos this year. I hope we were able to keep you up to date on all of our goings on and comings up.
We especially want to thank you all for your incredible support of the DVMS/Strata Benefit last night. From ticket purchases to auction item donations to auction bids to charitable donations, it was a very successful event. Enjoy some photos from the night, you well-dressed, good-lookin’ bunch o’ Montessori moms and dads.
Have a Great Summer! BBQ Send-Off.
One more big event to go, the annual DVMS year-end BBQ on Friday, June 23, beginning at 10:00 a.m.
The last regular full day of school is Thursday, June 22. Don’t forget to check the lost and found — remaining items will be donated at the end of the school year.
If you will be attending with your family, we ask that you enjoy the extra time to sleep in and have another coffee as we will be setting up earlier in the morning and the playground will not be safe or suitable for children during the set up process; also, there will not be staff available to supervise children inside the school.
Please do not just drop children off for the event (in the past, parents that can’t attend have made arrangements with another family to bring and supervise children).
As always, we will have a range of fun activities:
- Spray Tank
- Bouncy Castle
- Trike Track
- Snow Cones
- Water Play
- Face Painting
Please keep an eye on the weather and dress/prepare accordingly. There will be opportunities to get wet, so bathing suits make great attire, and a towel is often handy. This is a fair-weather event so, sadly, if it’s raining it’s cancelled. We’ll send an email Friday morning if the weather does not cooperate (but it’s looking good 7 days out).
We will have water available, but please bring reusable water bottles. Also bring any other picnic food, blankets, chairs, umbrellas, etc., that you would like.
We will be BBQing burgers and sausages from Morden’s Organic Farm, one of our tremendous DVMS families, and we will also have veggie burgers and dogs. Food will be $3.00 per item.
Master BBQ chef and DVMS Dad Rick Golarz will fire up the BBQs about 10:30. If anyone would like to volunteer to show off their BBQin’ skills and flip a few burgs with Rick during the day, your help will be greatly appreciated. Just let us know.
We will be cooking throughout the event, so please don’t feel the need to line up as soon as the first items are ready.
We always try to make this a fun community event with as little structure as possible. Feel free to wander and pitch in as you feel fit. It is just a nice time for us all to get together at the end of the year to enjoy each other’s company, see each other off for the summer, and for us to say thank you to you for committing to DVMS, Strata, and Montessori education. We generally start to pack things up around 1:00, but in the past we have left a few families sitting under the trees as we pull away, which is always a sign of a wonderful community event.
We really hope you can make it.
- Skipping through meadows of wildflowers, enjoying the warm summer breeze.
Enjoy some save-for-the-wedding-reception photo sequences captured by Upper Elementary theatre specialist Krista Colisomo:
But wait, there’s (just a little bit) more:
- 3rd Year Casa Parent Meeting: Parents of Casa children moving to Lower Elementary at DVMS next year are invited to attend a short meeting on Tuesday, June 20, from 3:30-4:00, to discuss their successful transition to Lower Elementary, including what they can work on over the summer to ensure they are prepared for September.
Once they’re firmly ensconced in the Elementary program, they’ll have overnight camping to look forward to:
- DVMS Summer Casa Camps: DVMS Summer Casa Camp is open to children who have completed their first year of Casa (approx. age 3 1/2 to 6). Half day and full day options are available. Cost is $140/week for half days and $250/week for full days. Once you have submitted your form, please come into DVMS to sign the hard copy and drop off payment by June 21 (or post dated cheques for each camp week). You can register for DVMS Summer Casa Camp by clicking here.
- Dundas Valley School of Art Camp June 26-30:
- Please Note: If you intend to register for this camp, please do so as soon as possible. There have been very few registrations so far and if numbers are still low by Monday, June 19, the camp will be cancelled.
- A “Before Summer Art Camp” for Dundas Valley Montessori students ages 4+ — for the week between end of school and beginning of DVMS Summer Casa Camps. More info and online registration can be found here (from the “Classes” dropdown menu, select “Summer Camps” and add either the morning or afternoon, or both for full days, “Head StART! A Montessori Program” options to your cart). Click the image below for larger version of their info poster. From DVSA:
Taught by qualified, professional artists, our Summer Art Camps encourage originality and are designed to develop your child’s creative literacy and art skills – all in a fun and supportive studio environment. Let your young artist explore and create at their own pace, free to choose what they want to express at a variety of creative stations that include Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Sculpture/Building projects and much more.
- Year-End Reports: DVMS students at the Casa 3rd-year level and up will have a written report coming home. Casa reports go home today (Friday, June 16). Elementary reports will go home on Thursday, June 22.
- Casa Parents: Please pick up your child(ren)’s report from their Montessori guide just outside the playground gate today between 3:30-4:00. (After 4:00 or next week, please pick up from the office).
Fun Family Events:
- Autism Speaks Walk: Saturday, June 24. Registration starts at 9:00 a.m. at Dundas Driving Park. Walk distance is 3 km. An event important to one of our families. Click here for more info and registration details.
Autism Speaks Canada Walk events are our organization’s single most important annual fundraising initiative to support Research, Services, Collaboration, and Awareness. Taking place in more than 100 cities across North America, the Walks provide an incredible opportunity for the ASD community to come together, make connections, and feel the support of donors, sponsors, local media, community partners, and corporate sponsors.
To learn more about ways to get involved at Autism Speaks Canada, please visit: www.autismspeaks.ca
- DVMS Year-End BBQ: You know!
Not the usual pile of pictures for this last “Events and Info” of the 2016-2017 school year, what with camping and classroom cleaning and all. We interspersed a few galleries of this week’s goings-on above, and we invite you to take a look through all the fun times from this past year over on our Facebook page.