- The important September events
- Lower swimming
- Upper adventures
- Dismissal reminder
- FREE speech therapy screenings
- Boomerang lunch update and thank you
- Lower Elementary reading folders
- Music lessons
- Hot Lunch menu
- McMaster NICU book donations
- Antique Show
- Locke Street Festival
- Wiggle Waggle
- Artisan Market
- Terry Fox Run
- Hamilton Walk for Down Syndrome
Important Events to Start the Year
- Wednesday, Sept. 13, 4:00 p.m.: Lower Elementary Parent Orientation
- This orientation session is open to all Lower Elementary parents. You are strongly encouraged to attend to chat with the guides and go over some of the routines and expectations for the year.
- September 13, 14, and 15, 3:30 – 6:00 p.m.: New Casa Children Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up for your 15 minute time slot on the appropriate day.
- Casa North: September 13
- Casa South: September 14
- Casa East: September 15
Parents of children that are new to the DVMS Casa program, either as first-year students or as new-to-DVMS second- or third-year Casa students, are asked to sign up for a brief introductory meeting with your child’s Montessori guides. Class lists were emailed on August 16 if you are unsure of which Montessori environment your child is in.
- Saturday, September 16, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: Welcome Back to School Picnic at DVMS
This event has been rained out for the last 3 or 4 years, but we’re trying again. This is a fun picnic day on the playground to welcome everyone back to school and give you time to renew old acquaintances and meet some of the other wonderful families who have chosen an authentic Montessori education for their children. Bring a picnic lunch, chairs and/or blankets, and post up under the trees for food, fun, and friends.
- Monday, September 25, and Tuesday, September 26: School Photo Days. More details will come regarding which day to polish them up. Photos will once again be taken by the wonderful Lindsay Palmer , one of your fellow Montessori Moms.
- Tuesday, September 26, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Lower Elementary South New Student Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up for your 10 minute time slot online.
Parents of new Lower Elementary South (Noeleen and Christine) students (both new, first-year Lower Elementary children and new-to-DVMS Lower Elementary children) are asked to attend a 10-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides on Tuesday, Sept. 26. Class lists were emailed on August 16 if you are unsure of which Montessori environment your child is in.
- Wednesday, September 27, and Thursday, September 28: Toddler Community New Student Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up online.
Parents of new Toddler Community children are asked to attend a 20-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides in the late-afternoon/early-evening on either Wednesday, Sept. 27, or Thursday, Sept. 28.
- Thursday, September 28, 2:00 – 4:00 p.m.: Lower Elementary North New Student Parent-Teacher Interviews. Please sign up for your 10 minute time slot online.
Parents of new Lower Elementary North (Jodi and Kathleen) students (both new, first-year Lower Elementary children and new-to-DVMS Lower Elementary children) are asked to attend a 10-minute introductory meeting with their Montessori guides on Thursday, Sept. 28. Class lists were emailed on August 16 if you are unsure of which Montessori environment your child is in.
- Swimming: Lower Elementary students will be walking to and from the Dundas Community Pool where they will participate in weekly swimming lessons until the end of October. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Christine) will swim on Mondays: Lower South children will swim on Monday, Sept. 11, 18, and 25, and Oct. 2, 16, and 23. (Monday, Oct. 9, is Thanksgiving).
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Kathleen) will swim on Fridays: Lower North students will swim on Friday, Sept. 15, 22, and 29, and Oct. 13, 20, and 27. (Friday, Oct. 6, is Elementary Field trip day).
To start the school year, Upper Elementary students will be participating in a variety of activities in the Hamilton area:
- Friday, Sept. 15: Dundas Conservation Area: “Story of Life.” Your Upper Elementary student will be spending the full day in the Dundas Valley Conservation Area. Please drop students off at Strata Montessori Adolescent School by 9:00 a.m. Pick up will be from 3:00 p.m., also at Strata. The day will include activities at Strata and throughout the conservation area. All students will require a packed picnic litterless lunch and weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
- Friday, Sept. 22: Observing Humans in a Human Environment and Hamilton Walking Tour. Upper Elementary students will travel by city bus to downtown Hamilton where they will begin their adventures at the Hamilton Public Library. They will depart from DVMS, so please drop off at the regular time. The day will consist of observations that will lead into a “This is Hamilton” project. Students will also have photography lessons and embark on a walking tour including the Art Gallery of Hamilton, James Street North, and Bayfront Park, among other interesting aspects of Hamilton they may not be aware of; the walking tour will also involve map reading skills. Students will return to DVMS, by city bus, in time for regular dismissal. All students will require a packed picnic litterless lunch and weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear.
Information and Reminders
- Dismissal Reminder: As much as possible, we ask that you pick up at the appropriate time for your child’s level (3:30 p.m. for Toddler and Casa children; 3:45 p.m. for Elementary students). Parents with children in both Toddler/Casa and Elementary are asked to arrive at 3:45. It is important that we account for each child’s dismissal. Please ensure that your child says goodbye and shakes the hand of the staff member with the clipboard by the main entrance. Thank you.
- Free Speech Therapy Screenings: DVMS has as ongoing relationship with Anderson Speech Consultants. On Thursday, Sept. 21, Anderson will be offering free speech screenings for children that any parents or DVMS guides feel would benefit. If you would like to take advantage of this offering, or if your child’s guide recommends it, please read and complete Speech Therapy Screening Information, Speech Therapy Consent for Screening, and Speech Therapy Consent for Release (if you would prefer to pick up a hard copy of these forms, please just pop into the office). Please let us know by Monday, Sept. 18. If you have any other questions, please contact Mairi at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boomerang Lunch: Our new Boomerang Lunches are off to a great start. Remember, this means everything that comes in the lunchbag goes home in the lunchbag. We have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of waste generated at the school. Hopefully you are getting a better idea of what is being eaten and what is not being eaten. Please remember to send any required cutlery (and if you notice some strange new cutlery coming home, please send it back).
Families with younger children, please have them practice opening/closing and packing/unpacking their lunchbags and containers to ensure they can do so independently at school.
At DVMS, we encourage healthy eating because, well, it’s good for you, and because a well-fed mind is a good learning mind. We ask that, as much as possible, you try to avoid processed, sugary foods, and do not include sweet treats in children’s lunches.
Thank you, DVMS families, for your easy adoption and cooperation with helping to make lunches more healthy and eco-friendly.
Elementary-level families, please send a labelled water bottle that will remain at DVMS for the school year and that can be regularly sanitized in our very high heat dishwasher.
Lower Elementary children are also asked to include a cloth napkin in their lunch each day (hot lunch kids too).
- Lower Elementary Reading Folders: Lower Elementary children each have a labelled reading folder in which they keep the book(s) they are currently reading. The folders come home (almost) every day so that they can read independently or with you at home in the evenings. Please gently prompt them to remember to bring it back to school each day. We will remind them that, “No, mom or dad did not forget your reading folder.” Thank you.
- Music Lessons: One of your fellow Montessori Moms has been offering music lessons, after school at DVMS, for the last few years and will do so again this year:
Come learn with me! Gosia McCarroll is thrilled to be back at DVMS for another exciting year of music.
I will be offering violin classes for children as young as 4, and piano as young as 6 and up, including but not limited to preparation for the Royal Conservatory of Music. Gosia, a music educator for many years is certified in classical and Suzuki based methods. She holds a Masters degree in Music Education from the Academy of Music in Krakow, Poland, and is on faculty with the Instrument for Every Child program in Hamilton. Being a Montessori mom for many years, and inspired by the community, Gosia recently completed the Association Montessori Internationale Children’s House Assistants Course in Toronto.
For more information please contact Gosia directly at email@example.com or call 905.320.1342
- Hot Lunch Menu: The Hot Lunch menu for the fall term has been finalized. You can view it on the “Hot Lunch Registration Form and Menu” page at dvms.ca. The menu runs on a 4-week rotation. You can check the calendar at dvms.ca to see which week we are on.
- McMaster Neo-Natal Intensive Care Book Donations: One of your fellow Montessori Moms sits on the Family Advisory Council at McMaster Children’s Hospital and has let us know that the neo-natal intensive care unit (NICU) is looking to put together a library of children’s books. They are asking for infant books to build their library. Parents of babies in NICU are encouraged to read to the babies in the incubators, but they only have 5 books on the ward at the moment. Forming a connection to newborns when they cannot be handled is very important, and it is important for the babies to hear voices as a form of stimulation while they are in the incubators. They would like to be able to eventually offer a lending library to their families, so we are hoping the DVMS community can take some time to sort through those piles of books and get them off to a great start. There will be a donation box in the foyer on Monday.
Fun Family Events
Put on your walking shoes, fill your water bottles, and hit the ATM. It’s a busy Hamilton weekend. Plus, some upcoming events to plan for.
- Supercrawl: Friday, Sept. 8 – Sunday, Sept. 10, James Street North. Click here for website.
Showcasing great music alongside an entire street of cultural experiences — a diverse and dynamic lineup of music, art, fashion, performance, talks, crafts, food and fun (local, regional national and international) — the festival has captured the imagination of culture lovers far beyond the city.
- Christie Antique & Vintage Show: Saturday, September 9, 8:00 – 5:00, at Christie Lake Conservation Area, 1000 Hwy 5 W, Hamilton ON. Children 12 and under free. Click here for info. (Even if you’re not shopping, kids love old things).
Hundreds of Canada’s top antique and vintage dealers display and sell an unparalleled variety of treasures. With 10 acres of items waiting to be discovered, there are pieces to please both the novice and the most experienced collector. Furniture, architectural antiques, stoneware, Native artifacts, folk art, rugs, jewelry, sports memorabilia, scientific instruments, textiles, cut glass and more! If you can imagine it, you can find it in one of the 1,200 collecting categories featured at the show!
- Locke Street Festival: Saturday, September 9, 10:00 – 7:00, Locke Street. Click for info.
The Locke Street Festival is a free neighborhood event that has been happening the second Saturday of September for the past 17 years. The Locke Street Festival is one of Ontario’s largest one-day street festivals and continues to grow with each passing year. People come from all over to shop, eat and enjoy a range of live music and performances.
- 28th annual Wiggle Waggle Walk: Sunday, September 10, 10:00 – 3:00, Bayfront Park, 200 Harbour Front Drive, Hamilton. Click here for details.
Bring your dog and join us for a day of fun in the sun at the 28th annual Wiggle Waggle Walk. 100% of the proceeds will benefit homeless and neglected animals. Register today at www.hbspca.com.
- Artisan Market: Sunday, September 10, 10:00 – 5:00, Dundas Driving Park. Click here for info.
Show and sale of original art works. 41 artists on site. Paintings, pottery, woodwork, jewellery,garden art, glass work, metal work, fabric arts, art cards etc. Free admission and parking. There will be a children’s play area.
- Dundas Terry Fox Run: The Dundas Terry Fox Run is coming up on Sunday, Sept. 17, at Driving Park.
Run Day DetailsRegistration: 8:00 amKids’ Fun Run: 9:00 amOne Start: 9:15 amLocation: Dundas Driving Park – Parkview RowParking is availableWhat to bring: water bottle for refilling waterKids corner, face painting, snacks and water stations will be provided
Route InformationBicycle, Stroller, and Wheelchair accessible.Route distance: 1 km – Kids Run; 5 km – Adult Run.
- 5th Annual Hamilton Walk for Down Syndrome: Sunday, October 1, 8:30 – 12:00, Bayfront Park, 200 Harbour Front Drive, Hamilton. This event is near and dear to us as one of your fellow Montessori Moms is the chair of the Down Syndrome Association of Hamilton and her son Owen is a student at DVMS. We encourage you to participate in the walk, and you can support Team Owen by clicking right here.
Here you go Montessori Moms and Dads, a glimpse into the DVMS Montessori environments to see what your wonderful kids got up to this week. We’ve also included a few photos from recess and dismissal on the first day. (There will be more Toddler Community photos in the coming weeks, as they settle in; turns out Jason and his camera are quite scary).
Let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children.