Hope you are all enjoying the adorable pictures of your adorable children. Thank you, as always, to DVMS Montessori Mom Lindsay Palmer for performing 1000 leg squats, making reluctant children laugh and smile, and taking stunning photos.
Photo orders and payment are due Monday, Oct. 23.
Re-takes will also be taken on Monday. If you would like to have the photos re-taken, or if your child was absent during photo days, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com with the subject “RETAKE: <child’s name>.” Thank you.
If you select to have re-takes, please return the original proofs/order form. If you choose to have re-take photos, please know that the original photos will not be available to purchase.
Photo packages and pricing are indicated on the order form, and don’t forget to take their class photos out before inserting payment. Every child receives a class photo.
Prints will be ready before the winter holiday break.
- School photos (the first bit; up above)
- Casa workshop on Thursday
- Lower swimming, gymnastics, and yoga
- Upper adventure running and dance
- PARENT DINNER
- Nov. 3 PD Day
- Nov. 15 Parent Education event
- Parent Observations and Interviews Nov. 20-24
- Heritage Cup Lacrosse
- Halloween Howl
- Pumpkin Sunday
- The first Casa Workshop of the 2017-2018 school year is coming up on Thursday, Oct. 26, at 3:30. The Casa Workshops are an opportunity for Casa parents to learn about specific areas of the Montessori Casa environment, and about how parents and Montessori guides can work together to best support childrens’ development.
The first workshop of the year will look at home and school as separate environments and how to implement Practical Life activities into the home, and how they are related to the development of independence.
Casa parents are asked to go directly to their child’s Montessori Casa environment at 3:30. Children are welcome to play on the playground, including any half-day Casa children who went home in the morning; we will not charge for afterschool care until 4:30 that day.
- Swimming: Lower Elementary students will be walking to and from the Dundas Community Pool where they will participate in weekly swimming lessons until the end of October. They will return to DVMS in time for 3:45 dismissal. Each class is divided into two groups based on swimming ability and are guided in swimming instruction by the pool staff. Please ensure that children bring a swimsuit that they can put on and take off themselves, a towel, and goggles and/or nose plugs as they desire and/or require. Please make sure goggles are adjusted to fit. The swimming activity is also more enjoyable for children if they are wearing clothing they can change in and out of without assistance, and if their swim gear is carried in a bag they able to easily and securely carry themselves.
Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Christine) will swim on Mondays: Lower South children will swim on Monday, Sept. 11, 18, and 25, and Oct. 2, 16, and 23.
Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Kathleen) will swim on Fridays: Lower North students will swim on Friday, Sept. 15, 22, and 29, and Oct. 13, 20, and 27.
- Gymnastics and Yoga: Both Lower Elementary classes will begin gymnastics or yoga in November and into December. Gymnastics will take place at the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy and students will be bused to and from. The class that is not attending gymnastics will participate in yoga at DVMS. From the gymnastics academy:
The kids will have the opportunity to learn gymnastics at a fully equipped gym with certified gymnastic instructors. Kids will be on Floor, Trampoline, Tumble Trak (50ft long trampoline) as well as mini trampoline and beam. They will learn safe landing positions, as well as basic gymnastics. Kids should wear shorts and t-shirt to the gym, have hair tied back and no jewellery (stud earrings are fine, no hoops or dangly earrings); no bare feet in the gym.
Note: Lower Elementary South will have swimming on Mon., Oct. 23, and gymnastics later that same week on Friday, Oct. 27.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Christine) will go to gymnastics on Fridays, Oct. 27, and Nov. 10 and 17 (Nov. 3 is a PD Day).
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Kathleen) will go to gymnastics on Dec. 1, 8, and 15.
- Adventure Running: Upper Elementary students will be participating in Adventure Running on Friday afternoons, led by Upper Elementary French Specialist, Selin. They will be running on Oct. 13, 20, and 27. Please ensure they are wearing, or bring, weather appropriate outdoor clothing and footwear; adventure running is rain or shine (unless it’s a thunderstorm). Note: the October 20 adventure running activity was cancelled due to the Lee Academy cross-country run; non-cross-country runners asked to have the afternoon period available to work on their science fair projects.
- Dance: Upper Elementary students will be participating in a dance program, at DVMS, on Friday Nov. 10 and 17, and on Friday Dec. 1 and 8. They will once again be led in dance by Chimira Andres, an Integrated Science student at McMaster who is also a captain on the Mac dance team, has been the senior dance instructor for a 4-16-year-old City of Mississauga dance program, and is a Contemporary Dance Artist with the Parahumans Dance Company. Upper students will dance with their class on Friday afternoons and should wear or bring appropriate, loose clothing.
Information and Reminders
Strata and DVMS are built on a vision of students working together to create a community of learning, caring, and having fun.In that spirit, on Friday, Nov. 10, you will be both diners and chefs, making a pizza which will then be shared to all of our guests. This is your opportunity to be creative, to think about flavours, and to mingle.
Our students will be working with Red Door Cucina to make the dough, the sauce, and to pick out a curious and delicious array of toppings — from figs to feta, beets to bananas, mozzarella to mint, prosciutto to pear.
Past and present students are coming together to organize this event, serve the pizzas, help with the cooking and serving, and cleaning up.
The beer will be provided by one of our own family’s brewing company — Grain and Grit — which had its official opening this week. (We are working on the wine).
It is all different — but it all makes sense. Please come and support our vision to make DVMS and Strata the best schools in the whole darn world.
Tickets are $50/person and can be purchased via PayPal (use your PayPal account, or your credit card if you do not have PayPal), at DVMS or Strata (starting Monday, Oct. 23), or at the door.
Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free diets can be accommodated, and there will be cash bar.
All proceeds will go towards supporting the ongoing development of Strata (a registered Canadian charity) as one of Canada’s first and foremost Montessori middle schools.
- Fri. Nov. 3: PD Day. No School.
- Parent Education Evening: Wed. Nov. 15, 5:30 – 7:00. “Montessori at Home and Digital Citizenship.”
- Parent Observations and Interviews: Week of Nov. 20-24: (No School on Fri. Nov. 24).
Fun Family Events
- 2017 Heritage Cup Lacrosse: Team USA vs Team Canada. Saturday, Oct. 21, at 7:00 p.m., at First Ontario Centre. View event website here for info and tickets.
The finest box lacrosse players from both Canada and the United States will converge in Hamilton, Ontario, this fall as they face-off in the 2017 Heritage Cup, an international showcase game that will take place at the FirstOntario Centre on Saturday, October 21, 2017.
- Halloween Howl: Saturday, Oct. 21, at Fifty Point Conservation Area, 1:00-4:00. Click here for info and directions.
Join us at Fifty Point Conservation Area for an afternoon of Halloween family fun!
- Bewitching boo-ncy castle
- Interactive creepy crawly creatures by Creature Quest
- Trick-tastic treat bag decorating
- Fang-tastic fire truck and crew
- Spooktakular bonfire and marshmallow roast
- Howling hayrides
- Complimentary hot chocula
- Goblin goodies for purchase from Gorilla Cheese food truck
- Ghostily games
- Hike the new 3km trail loop
Admission just $15 or FREE with your HCA Membership Pass.
- Pumpkin Sunday: Sunday, Oct. 22, at Westfield Heritage Village. 12:30-4:00. Click here for more and to purchase advance tickets.
Fall is finally here! Come out to Westfield on Sunday October 22 for Pumpkin Sunday for a fun day with your family and friends. Pumpkin themed games, activities and a craft will take place within the village’s beautiful, historic setting. You will want to bring your camera to capture this very special day.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.