- Toy Drive
- Lower gymnastics and yoga
- Upper Robin Hood
- Upper dance
- Strata Holiday Market
- Toddler Tea
- Holiday concert and break
- Lost and found
- Victorian Christmas
- Holidays at RBG
Holiday Toy Drive
DVMS will once again be holding a Toy Drive to support the efforts of the local City Kidz organization. Click here to access the Wish List mentioned by City Kidz below. A toy donation bin will be in the foyer starting Monday morning, and we will deliver the donated toys to the Dundas drop-off location throughout the drive until the last day on Thursday, Dec. 21.
We are always overwhelmed by your generosity during these charitable drives; thank you so much in advance. We encourage you to involve your children in the selection and delivery of toys to donate — they have abundant charitable, empathetic impulses at all ages. From City Kidz:
In 2016, we set a goal to give 4,000 local children a Christmas gift. Thanks to the generosity of the greater Hamilton community, we were able to bring Christmas to over 4,300 children last year! Additionally, gifts that arrived after the close of our toy drive, were used to provide birthday presents for children throughout the year. This year, we have once again identified 4,000 children in need, and have set a goal to provide all of them with the gift of Christmas. Please join us!
CityKidz accepts new, unwrapped gifts for boys and girls from 0 to 12 years of age. Each year, children submit wish lists with the toys they would most like to receive. We’ve included a copy of their most popular requests in a toy wishlist to help guide you in your giving. You can download a copy of the wishlist below [click the link above, actually].
We encourage you to donate and drop off your toy donations as soon as possible. This will help give our staff and volunteers the time needed to select, wrap, and deliver the perfect gift to the boys and girls in our community. Our toy drive will close on December 21st to ensure all Christmas gifts can be delivered on time.
- Gymnastics and Yoga: Both Lower Elementary classes will begin gymnastics or yoga in November and into December. Gymnastics will take place at the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy and students will be bused to and from. The class that is not attending gymnastics will participate in yoga at DVMS. From the gymnastics academy:
The kids will have the opportunity to learn gymnastics at a fully equipped gym with certified gymnastic instructors. Kids will be on Floor, Trampoline, Tumble Trak (50ft long trampoline) as well as mini trampoline and beam. They will learn safe landing positions, as well as basic gymnastics. Kids should wear shorts and t-shirt to the gym, have hair tied back and no jewellery (stud earrings are fine, no hoops or dangly earrings); no bare feet in the gym.
- Lower Elementary South (Noeleen/Christine) will go to gymnastics on Fridays, Oct. 27, and Nov. 10 and 17.
- Lower Elementary North (Jodi/Kathleen) will go to gymnastics on Dec. 1, 8, and 15.
- Robin Hood Play: On the morning of Tuesday, Dec. 12, the Upper Elementary students will be walking over to the Hamilton Academy of the Performing Arts on Park St. (our old DVMS location) to see their production of “Robin Hood.” They will return to DVMS for lunch.
- Dance: Upper Elementary students will be participating in a dance program, at DVMS, on Friday Nov. 10 and 17, and on Friday Dec. 1 and 8. They will once again be led in dance by Chimira Andres, an Honours Integrated Science student at McMaster University who is also the current president and captain of the Mac Dance Competitive Varsity Dance Team. She has been a principal dancer/graduate from the School of Cadence Ballet in Toronto, ON. She also has been a senior dance instructor for 4 to 16-year-old dancers in the City of Mississauga dance program for approximately 7 years, and is a working contemporary dance artist with the Parahumans Dance Company. Upper students will dance with their class on Friday afternoons and should wear or bring appropriate, loose clothing.
Information and Reminders
- Strata Holiday Market: Saturday, Dec. 16:. The Strata Montessori Adolescent School students engage in micro-economy ventures as part of their Montessori program (if you haven’t been to their Friday morning café yet, be sure to enjoy coffee and snacks around the fireplace this winter). The Strata Holiday Market is a chance to get some Christmas shopping done by purchasing items hand-made, marketed, and merchandised by the Strata students. More details next week.
- Toddler Holiday Tea: The Toddler Community will be hosting a holiday tea for Moms and Dads on Thursday, Dec. 21, from 2:45-3:45, in the Toddler environment.
- Winter Break and Holiday Concert: The last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 21. This year’s Holiday Concert will take place the morning of Friday, Dec. 22, and then we break for the winter holidays. The first day of school in the new year is Monday, January 8.
- Lost and Found: As we approach the end of the fall term, please take some time to have a good look through the lost and found. At the end of each term, any items remaining in the lost and found, that are not labeled, are donated (labeled items are returned to the lost and found). Thank you.
Fun Family Events
- Victorian Christmas: November 28 to December 3, at Dundurn National Historic Site, 610 York Boulevard, Hamilton. Click here for info and tickets.
Enjoy the beauty of a mid-19th century family Christmas celebration at Dundurn Castle.
The Garden Club of Hamilton decorates the Castle in Victorian splendor with cedar boughs, ribbons and dried flowers. Bring your family and share a Hamilton holiday tradition.
Victorian Christmas will be held at Dundurn Castle from November 28 to December 31, 2017 (excluding Mondays).
- Holiday Entertainment at RBG: Check the RBG website for family activities and entertainment taking place throughout December.
Come visit the Gardens and stay around for a variety of performances including choirs, carollers, children’s entertainment, and more! All the entertainment is included in your general admission or membership. Bring the family and experience RBG this holiday season!
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.