- Strata Holiday Market
- Couple cute videos
- Upper and Lower Robin Hood
- Lower gymnastics and yoga
- Upper basketball
- Toy Drive
- Toddler Tea
- Holiday concert and break
- Lost and found
- Flamborough Holiday Village
- RBG Winter Lights
- ‘Twas the Night
Strata Holiday Market: Saturday, Dec. 16
The Strata Montessori Adolescent School students engage in micro-economy ventures as part of their Montessori program (if you haven’t been to their Friday morning café yet, be sure to enjoy coffee and snacks around the fireplace this winter). The Strata Holiday Market is a chance to get some Christmas shopping done by purchasing items hand-made, marketed, and merchandised by the Strata students. From the Strata crew:
Our yearly Strata Market will be taking place next Saturday, Dec. 16, From 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Our Cafe will be running throughout the entire Market. Feel free to stop by and grab one of our new wonderful dishes.Most of our products will be available for order this year; if we do not have a product at the Market that you would like to purchase, you can order it and it will be available for pick up on Dec. 22 during the Holiday Concert at DVMS.See you soon!!!
Here’s a couple of cute videos from this past week:
- Some Montessori Red Rod material extension work:
- Some cooperation between Casa and Lower Elementary students to move an empty cabinet from one classroom to another:
- Robin Hood Play: On Tuesday, Dec. 12, and Wednesday, Dec. 13, the Upper and Lower Elementary students will be walking over to the Hamilton Academy of the Performing Arts on Park St. (our old DVMS location) to see their production of “Robin Hood.”
- Upper Elementary students will attend the 10:30 performance on Tuesday, Dec. 12, and will return to DVMS for lunch.
- Lower Elementary students will attend the 10:30 performance on Wednesday, Dec. 13, and will return to DVMS for lunch.
- Gymnastics and Yoga: Just one more gymnastics and yoga day left for the Lower Elementary children this week — gymnastics for Lower North and yoga for Lower South. From the gymnastics academy:
The kids will have the opportunity to learn gymnastics at a fully equipped gym with certified gymnastic instructors. Kids will be on Floor, Trampoline, Tumble Trak (50ft long trampoline) as well as mini trampoline and beam. They will learn safe landing positions, as well as basic gymnastics. Kids should wear shorts and t-shirt to the gym, have hair tied back and no jewellery (stud earrings are fine, no hoops or dangly earrings); no bare feet in the gym.
Friday activities are finished for the fall term for Upper Elementary students. However:
- Upper Basketball Team: Upper Elementary students that are interested in playing basketball for DVMS this year. We will have our first practice this Tuesday, Dec. 12, from 3:30-4:30 in the gym. Please contact Colin Fox if you have any questions (you can send questions for Colin to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Information and Reminders
- Holiday Toy Drive:
DVMS is once again holding a Toy Drive to support the efforts of the local City Kidz organization, and once again the DVMS community is going above and beyond. You may have noticed the donation bin in the foyer was overflowing, so we delivered the first THREE FULL BAGS of toys that you donated to the local drop off point on Friday afternoon. Thank you. Donations can still be dropped off until Thursday, Dec. 19 [Note: this has changed from the 21st by request of City Kidz].
We encourage you to involve your children in the selection and delivery of toys to donate — they have abundant charitable, empathetic impulses at all ages. From City Kidz:
In 2016, we set a goal to give 4,000 local children a Christmas gift. Thanks to the generosity of the greater Hamilton community, we were able to bring Christmas to over 4,300 children last year! Additionally, gifts that arrived after the close of our toy drive, were used to provide birthday presents for children throughout the year. This year, we have once again identified 4,000 children in need, and have set a goal to provide all of them with the gift of Christmas. Please join us!
CityKidz accepts new, unwrapped gifts for boys and girls from 0 to 12 years of age. Each year, children submit wish lists with the toys they would most like to receive. We’ve included a copy of their most popular requests in a toy wishlist to help guide you in your giving. You can download a copy of the wishlist below [click the link above, actually].
We encourage you to donate and drop off your toy donations as soon as possible. This will help give our staff and volunteers the time needed to select, wrap, and deliver the perfect gift to the boys and girls in our community. Our toy drive will close on December 21st to ensure all Christmas gifts can be delivered on time.
- Toddler Holiday Tea: The Toddler Community will be hosting a holiday tea for Moms and Dads on Thursday, Dec. 21, from 2:45-3:45, in the Toddler environment.
- Winter Break and Holiday Concert: The last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 21. This year’s Holiday Concert will take place the morning of Friday, Dec. 22, and then we break for the winter holidays. The first day of school in the new year is Monday, January 8.
- Lost and Found: As we approach the end of the fall term, please take some time to have a good look through the lost and found. At the end of each term, any items remaining in the lost and found, that are not labeled, are donated (labeled items are returned to the lost and found). In the coming weeks we will be displaying all of the lost and found items in the front hallway; please peruse during morning drop-off and/or afternoon pick-up.
Fun Family Events
- Flamborough Holiday Village: December 8 – 23 at Buncrana Golf Course, 1079 Hwy 8, Hamilton. Click here for Village website.
It’s the first year for The Flamborough Holiday Village! This community event is in support of McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation and Tim Horton’s Children’s Foundation! Whether you are out for a date night, night out with friends or the whole family, there is something for everyone! Bring your kids to find our elf on the shelf, make decorations for our kidsmas tree, or write a letter to Santa! Come check out goods made by local vendors in the market place, have a drink by the fire and of course, don’t miss all the gorgeous photo ops!
Flamborough Holiday Village is open from December 8 – 23 from 4:00 – 9:00 on weekdays and 1:00 – 9:00 on the weekends! Admission is $10/ person, $5.00 / child (under 16), $20.00/ family (2 adults and 2 children), Thursday Night Date Night $15.00/ couple.
- RBG Winter Lights at the Rock: Is ongoing at the David Braley and Nancy Gordon Rock Garden, 1185 York Boulevard, Hamilton. Click here for dates, times, and details.
Let the light be your guide as the Rock Garden awakens the spirit of winter! Explore how multicultural traditions and activities that make us quintessentially Canadian are rooted in natural phenomena that change the seasons. Immerse yourself in a story of celebrations and adaptations.
This 1km walk through RBG’s historic Rock Garden is along paved pathways; there are some gentle slopes along the route.
- ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas: at Westfield Heritage Village, Saturday, Dec. 9, 5:00-9:00 p.m. Click here for details and info.
Enjoy Westfield by candlelight and feel the warmth of the season through music, food samples, fireworks and a visit from Father Christmas. Christmas shopping is available at the Gift Shop and the restaurant features light meals and refreshments.
- Trains at RBG: The train activities are still taking place at RBG. Click here, or below, for details.
Trains are taking over at RBG this holiday season! Visit RBG Centre and Rock Garden to see these amazing displays in action, and learn a bit more about the history of local railways.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.