- A Midsummer Night’s Dream
- Lower karate
- Upper outdoor ed.
- Montessori Member of Parliament
- Upper basketball
- PD. Stat!
- P.Ed. pics
- DVMS Re-Enrolment
- Why Don’t Dinosaurs Throw Snowballs?
- Owl Prowl
Strata Play: “A Midsummer Night’s Dream”
From the Strata Montessori students:
For our annual Strata Shakespeare play this year we are putting on an adaption of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”
We will have six performances: Wed., Jan. 31, at 7:00 p.m.; Thurs., Feb. 1, at 7:00p.m.; Fri., Feb 2, at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.; and Sat., Feb 3, at 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
All performances are at Strata. Tickets are $10.00, and V.I.P. tickets are $25.00. Strata students will be selling tickets at DVMS, during dismissal, all week.
er Elementary students will be participating in karate, at DVMS, with the fine folks from United Family Martial Arts during the Friday afternoons of Jan. 12, 19, 26, and Feb. 2. Please help them remember to wear clothing they can move in on karate days.
- Upper Elementary students will be participating in a series of outdoor education activities with Justin Metz from Strata Montessori, on Thursday OR Friday afternoons.
- Upper East (Terrence and Catherine) will have outdoor ed. on Thursdays
- Upper West (Kathleen and Michael) will have outdoor ed. on Fridays.
They will require appropriate outdoor weather gear for this activity (please keep an eye on the forecasts).
- Upper Year 6 Montessori Member of Parliament: Save the (tentative) date for the Montessori Member of Parliament (MMP) conference in Ottawa, April 18-20, 2018. Our year six Upper Elementary students are hard at work learning about the provinces they will represent and the Canadian parliamentary system. We have set a date and will provide more details as soon as we are able to confirm our lodging and transportation bookings. More information to follow soon.
- Upper Basketball Team: Attn: Upper Elementary students that are interested in playing basketball for DVMS this year — practices will continue on Tuesdays, from 3:30-4:30. Please contact Colin Fox if you have any questions (you can send questions for Colin to firstname.lastname@example.org); kids can talk to Colin during gym.
Information and Reminders
- Upcoming PD Day and Statutory Holidays: There is a 4-day weekend coming up: Friday, Feb. 16, is a PD Day (DVMS staff will be renewing our required Standard First Aid training) and Monday, Feb. 19, is the Family Day statutory holiday.
- Reminder if Late: Just a reminder — if your children arrive late (after 8:45), please be sure to have them check in at the office to let us know they’re here. Thank you.
- Parent Ed. Night — Thank You: We hope you all had a fun and informative night this past week learning about the Montessori Culture curriculum. Enjoy a few photos from the evening, and if you couldn’t make it we hope to see you next time.
- DVMS Re-Enrolment: As you all know, re-enrolment for the 2018.2019 school year was sent out this week. We are asking that re-enrolment forms are submitted by Thursday, Feb. 1. That gives us time to get a good idea of numbers at the various levels and contact families on the wait list. Please don’t worry about payment at this time; it is most important that we have the re-enrolment forms submitted (the first payment for the 2018-2019 school year is March 1). If you know that your child will not be returning to DVMS next year and you will not be completing a re-enrolment form, please also let us know. Thank you, DVMS families, for continuing to choose authentic Montessori education for your children. Please click here to complete your re-enrolment form(s) if you have not already done so.
Fun Family Events
- Why Don’t Dinosaurs Throw Snowballs?: Saturday, Jan. 27, 11:00-1:00, at McMaster Health Sciences Building (McMaster Children’s Hospital), 1200 Main St West, 1st Floor, Purple Section of McMaster Children’s Hospital, Room 1A1. This one of the McMaster Children and Youth University (MCYU) events. It’s free, ages 7-14 (whole family welcome). Lecture 11:00-1:00. Hands-on workshop 12:00-1:00. Click here for MCYU website.
Why Don’t Dinosaurs Throw Snowballs? Dinosaurs lived for roughly 160 million years and survived tremendous changes in climate. We will travel through time and learn how the weather patterns have changed over the last 65 million years.
- Owl Prowl: Saturday, Jan. 27, 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Mountsberg Conservation Area, 2259 Milburough Line, Campbellville, ON. Click here for details and to pre-register (required).
This poplular program provides insight into the mysterious lives of Ontario’s majestic owls. A hike through the crisp winter night to search for owls and a “nose to beak” visit with Mountsberg’s resident raptors give guests an experience not easily forgotten. Family nights include a fun and educational puppet show and children’s activities. Pre-registration required.
Let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.