- Field Trip for Parents
- Long Weekend
- Lower Friday Soccer
- Upper Friday Tennis
- Grandparents’ Day Sign-up
- Summer Casa Camp
- DVSA June Camp
- Upcoming Casa, and Lower, Workshop
- DVMS Dancers
- Psssst…Don’t forget it’s Mother’s Day on Sunday
- Don’t forget to check the DVMS calendar to stay up to date.
May 17 Field Trip for Parents
This Thursday! Free! You Don’t Even Have To Drive!
See the details on the poster above (click it to open it in a separate tab/window). DVMS will be chartering a bus to and from this event for DVMS parents. You are also welcome to drive to the event, and to bring a non-DVMS/non-Montessori friend(s). Please click here to register for the event.
If you would like to ride the DVMS bus, please let us know by filling out this short, 2-question form after you have registered for the event above (please register above before signing up to ride the bus). The bus has limited seating so please complete the bus-ridin’ form for each individual person.
Driving to the event? Click on the image below for parking directions (including a “Parking Code”):
Happy Extra-long Weekend:
The Victoria Day long weekend is coming up. DVMS is closed on Friday, May 18, for a PD Day (DVMS staff is heading to the CCMA conference featuring Dr. Angeline Lillard — see the Parent Field Trip info above) and on Monday, May 21, for the Victoria Day holiday.
Lower Elementary Friday Soccer:
Upper Elementary Friday Tennis:
Upper Elementary students continue tennis at the Dundas Tennis Club, located in Dundas’s Driving Park, on Friday, May 25, and on June 1 and 8. If your child has a tennis racket, please have them bring it; if not, DVMS will supply rackets. Tennis-playin’-appropriate clothing and shoes, and their water bottles, are also required.
- Upper Elementary West (Kathleen/Michael) will play tennis on Friday mornings. Please drop your Upper West child off at Driving Park between 8:30-9:00 on tennis days. They will walk back to DVMS for lunch.
- Upper Elementary East (Terrence/Catherine) will play tennis on Friday afternoons. They will have an early lunch and walk to Driving Park for 1:00. If you would like to pick your child up from Driving Park, please be there no later than 3:15. Terrence or Catherine will depart Driving Park at 3:15 with the remaining students to walk back to DVMS for dismissal at 3:45.
TENNIS DAY NOTES:
- A number of Upper Elementary children enjoy riding their bikes to and from tennis. Children that choose to do so, with your approval and consent, travel in an unsupervised group. If your child would like to bike ride, please email us at email@example.com to indicate your consent.
- Some children are also given permission to dismiss themselves from Driving Park in order to walk home. If you would like your child to walk home, please indicate your consent for them to do so via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Information and Reminders
Grandparents’ Day Coming Up:
A bit of notice that Grandparents’ Day is coming up on Friday, May 25. This day is always a bit chaotic, but more fun than every other day. Grandparents of Casa and Lower Elementary children are welcome to visit their grandchildren in their Montessori environments during the morning work cycle. A Request Please: if children will be leaving with grandparents, please schedule their departure from DVMS to coincide with their lunch or recess break, and let the kids (and grandparents) know what the plan is; this is the best way for everyone to avoid tears.
The Upper Elementary and Toddler Communities do not participate in Grandparents’ Day: participation is traditionally low in the Upper rooms (but grandparents are welcome to come watch them play tennis in the park), and there are too many tears when grandparents leave the Toddlers.
2017-18 DVMS Yearbook:
Not only will your receive a handsome keepsake, but you’ll also have access to the Digital Addition which features extended photos, videos, and music that you can play back on the computing device of your choice.
Ordering only takes a minute, and the books will arrive during the last week of school for signing.
Summer Casa Camp:
DVMS Casa Summer Camp is held on the grounds of Dundas Valley Montessori School. Staffed by DVMS Montessori trained staff and using our beautiful playground, gym, and multi-purpose room, each week will follow a theme with games, crafts, activities, and community outings. On Fridays we will have a barbecue lunch to end a week of fun and adventure. Our Summer Camp welcomes DVMS students and other children ages 4-6 (or have completed their first year of Casa as DVMS), meeting their developmental needs in a safe, nurturing environment.
DVSA Camp for Last Week of June:
Dundas Valley School of Art (DVSA) will once again be hosting an art camp for DVMS students ages 4+ (all the way up to our 12-year-old Upper Elementary students) for the week of June 25-29. This is the week that classes at DVMS are over, but the staff is still in finishing up some year-end tasks. See the DVSA poster below for more info. To register for DVSA art camp, please click here to visit the DVSA website (under the “Choose Your Program” dropdown menu, select “Children & Teens” and scroll down to the “Head StART! A Montessori Program” selection options; there is a morning and afternoon session; sign up for both for full days).
Forks & Stuff:
We seem to be down on forks and spoons and things again. Would you mind having a look in the cutlery drawer for any strange, mismatched silverware that may have made it’s way home in lunchboxes.
Upcoming Casa, and Lower, Workshop:
Next week, on Thursday, May 24, the Casa guides will be hosting their final workshop of the school year (yep, that time of year is coming fast!). As always, the workshop will run from 3:30-4:00 and your kids are welcome to play on the playground during the workshop.
At the workshop, the guides will discuss what to do over the summer to set children up to succeed on their return to school in September.
Workshop Bonus!: Guides from the Lower Elementary environments will also be on-hand to discuss how 3rd-year Casa students can prepare for their transition into Lower Elementary.
Fun Family Events
Strachella! This Saturday!:
From your friends at Strata:
Dear Strata and DVMS parents,
Please join us on Saturday, May 12th, from 11:00-2:00 at Strata for fun, music, and art!
Before the closing of this year, we wanted to do something that encouraged and showcased some of the musical talent we’ve discovered here at Strata this year. We’ve taken inspiration from California’s music festival Coachella, and made our own version: Strachella. During Strachella:
- A cafe will be held in the dining room
- Art will be showcased from the art classes (sketching and paddle-making).
- A Mother’s Day market will be held in the community room
- Seedlings will also be sold, and
- We will be having a car wash out front. We will be charging ten dollars for the car wash that includes an exterior wash, and a floor mat wash.This is an environmentally friendly wash as we use only biodegradable soaps, re-purposed supplies, and collected water.
100% of the proceeds from Strachella will be donated to a family that’s recently moved here from Iraq — a mother, father, grandmother, and a young boy. Music will be played outside by Strata’s bands: Sticky Rice, Fried Raman, and others. This is definitely an event you don’t want to miss! So we hope to see you there!
Click here for a map to Strata
A few DVMS students are dancing in this performance coming up in a few weeks. Click here for tickets.
Go Bulldogs Go!
This Sunday, May 13, at 2:00 p.m., the Hamilton Bulldogs take on the Soo Greyhounds in game 6 of the OHL Championship series. Click here for info/tickets.
Sloan! at DVMS:
This Sunday, May 13. Click here for more.
Halifax/Toronto rockers, SLOAN have a cannon of great music. A new album arrives April 6th called ‘12’, and we host the Hamilton-area Release Party on Sunday May 13th at Auditorium at Dundas Valley Montessori School.
Psssst…don’t forget to spoil mom more than usual this weekend!
We captured a few pictures from the Upper Elementary Mother’s Day Tea this week:
Thank you for reading and staying up to date with everything that’s going on at DVMS. Here’s your wonderful children in Montessori action this past week.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with. (If you hover your cursor over the photo you should see a file number).