- Strata Holiday Market
- Upper basketball
- Toy Drive
- Bucket of Cheer!
- Toddler Tea
- Holiday concert and break
- Lost and found
- Flamborough Holiday Village
- RBG Winter Lights
Strata Holiday Market: Saturday, Dec. 15
The Strata Montessori Adolescent School students engage in micro-economy ventures as part of their Montessori program (if you haven’t been to their Friday morning café yet, be sure to enjoy coffee and snacks around the fireplace this winter). The Strata Holiday Market is a chance to get some Christmas shopping done by purchasing items hand-made, marketed, and merchandised by the Strata students. From the Strata crew:
Our yearly Strata Market will be taking place next Saturday, Dec. 15, From 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Our Cafe will be running throughout the entire Market. Feel free to stop by and grab one of our new wonderful dishes. Most of our products will be available for order this year; if we do not have a product at the Market that you would like to purchase, you can order it and it will be available for pick up on Dec. 22 during the Holiday Concert at DVMS. Our Cafe and Market is located at Strata Montessori Adolescent School at 575 Lions Club road, Dundas, ON. If you have any additional questions feel free to contact us!
Friday Activities are finished for the fall term for Lower Elementary students.
Friday activities are finished for the fall term for Upper Elementary students. However:
- Upper Basketball Team: Upper Elementary boys that are interested in playing basketball for DVMS this year will meet on Monday. Our first game will be right after the break. We will send out an email with practice schedules and games this week. Please contact Colin Fox if you have any questions (you can send questions for Colin to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Information and Reminders
- Holiday Toy Drive:
DVMS is once again holding a Toy Drive to support the efforts of the local City Kidz organization, and once again the DVMS community is going above and beyond. Donations can still be dropped off until Thursday, Dec. 20 Click here to access the Wish List mentioned by City Kidz below. We encourage you to involve your children in the selection and delivery of toys to donate — they have abundant charitable, empathetic impulses at all ages. From City Kidz:
In 2016, we set a goal to give 4,000 local children a Christmas gift. Thanks to the generosity of the greater Hamilton community, we were able to bring Christmas to over 4,300 children last year! Additionally, gifts that arrived after the close of our toy drive, were used to provide birthday presents for children throughout the year. This year, we have once again identified 4,000 children in need, and have set a goal to provide all of them with the gift of Christmas. Please join us!
CityKidz accepts new, unwrapped gifts for boys and girls from 0 to 12 years of age. Each year, children submit wish lists with the toys they would most like to receive. We’ve included a copy of their most popular requests in a toy wishlist to help guide you in your giving. You can download a copy of the wishlist below [click the link above, actually].
We encourage you to donate and drop off your toy donations as soon as possible. This will help give our staff and volunteers the time needed to select, wrap, and deliver the perfect gift to the boys and girls in our community. Our toy drive will close on December 21st to ensure all Christmas gifts can be delivered on time.
- Toddler Holiday Tea: The Toddler Community will be hosting a holiday tea for Moms and Dads on Thursday, Dec. 20, from 2:45-3:45, in the Toddler environment.
Bucket of Cheer!: The Year Six students will be selling tickets for a Bucket of Cheer! Tickets are 10.00 each and the winner will walk away with over 30 bottles of wine to make your holiday celebrations much easier! Tickets can be bought from the students or from the office. Limited number of tickets are available so get yours quickly! Draw will be made at the Holiday Concert on Friday December 21st. Winners do not have to be present to win.
- Winter Break and Holiday Concert: The last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 20. This year’s Holiday Concert will take place the morning of Friday, Dec. 21, and then we break for the winter holidays. The first day of school in the new year is Monday, January 8. Timing for this event will be in next weeks newsletter.
- Lost and Found: As we approach the end of the fall term, please take some time to have a good look through the lost and found. At the end of each term, any items remaining in the lost and found, that are not labeled, are donated (labeled items are returned to the lost and found). In the coming weeks we will be displaying all of the lost and found items in the front hallway; please peruse during morning drop-off and/or afternoon pick-up.
- Parking Lot Reminder: A reminder that you may ONLY TURN RIGHT out of our parking lot between 8:15am-9:15am and 3:15pm-4:15pm. Turning left causes chaos and frustration as drivers try to squeeze through the parked cars. This is not a DVMS request but is now a by-law. Officers may be out to ticket parents at any time. Also, please SLOW down and take care while traversing the parking lot and surrounding streets.
- Changes to After Care Program: If your child is staying in the After Care Program please send a pair of indoor running shoes with your child in their backpack. We will require all children to wear shoes in the gym while they are playing for safety reasons.
Fun Family Events
- Flamborough Holiday Village: December 8 – 23 at Buncrana Golf Course, 1079 Hwy 8, Hamilton. Click here for Village website.
It’s the first year for The Flamborough Holiday Village! This community event is in support of McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation and Tim Horton’s Children’s Foundation! Whether you are out for a date night, night out with friends or the whole family, there is something for everyone! Bring your kids to find our elf on the shelf, make decorations for our kidsmas tree, or write a letter to Santa! Come check out goods made by local vendors in the market place, have a drink by the fire and of course, don’t miss all the gorgeous photo ops!
Flamborough Holiday Village is open from December 8 – 23 from 4:00 – 9:00 on weekdays and 1:00 – 9:00 on the weekends! Admission is $10/ person, $5.00 / child (under 16), $20.00/ family (2 adults and 2 children), Thursday Night Date Night $15.00/ couple.
- RBG Winter Lights at the Rock: Is ongoing at the David Braley and Nancy Gordon Rock Garden, 1185 York Boulevard, Hamilton. Click here for dates, times, and details.
Let the light be your guide as the Rock Garden awakens the spirit of winter! Explore how multicultural traditions and activities that make us quintessentially Canadian are rooted in natural phenomena that change the seasons. Immerse yourself in a story of celebrations and adaptations.
This 1km walk through RBG’s historic Rock Garden is along paved pathways; there are some gentle slopes along the route.
- Trains at RBG: The train activities are still taking place at RBG. Click here, or below, for details.
Trains are taking over at RBG this holiday season! Visit RBG Centre and Rock Garden to see these amazing displays in action, and learn a bit more about the history of local railways.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.