- Strata Holiday Market
- Lower Jan activities
- Upper Jan activities
- Upper boys basketball
- Holiday concert details
- DVMS clothing at concert
- Upper clothing drive
- Toy Drive – last day is Tuesday, Dec. 18
- Toddler Tea
- Lost and found
- Bucket of Cheer
Strata Holiday Market: Tomorrow! Saturday, Dec. 15
We hope you can all make it out to the Strata Holiday Market tomorrow. The Market is a chance to get some Christmas shopping done by purchasing items hand-made, marketed, and merchandised by the Strata students. From the Strata crew:
Our yearly Strata Market will be taking place tomorrow — Saturday, Dec. 15, From 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.Our Cafe will be running throughout the entire Market. Feel free to stop by and grab one of our new wonderful dishes.Most of our products will be available for order this year; if we do not have a product at the Market that you would like to purchase, you can order it and it will be available for pick up on Dec. 21 during the Holiday Concert at DVMS.See you soon!!!
- Fall term Friday activities for Lower Elementary students are now finished. In the new year, they will be participating in karate at DVMS and will need to wear or bring loose fitting, or other clothing, that they can move in.
- Fall term Friday activities for Upper Elementary students are now finished. In the new year, they will be participating in curling at the Dundas Valley Golf and Curling Club. It is important that students have a pair of clean running shoes.
- Upper Basketball Team: Boys basketball will resume in the New Year with practices commencing on Thursday mornings at 7:30am. The boys will have their first game on Thursday January 10 at 4:30pm and St Lawrence School.
Attention Girls Basketball Team: Please return your jerseys to school before the break so that we can pass them along to the boys.
Information and Reminders
- Winter Break and Holiday Concert — The Details: The last full day of school is Thursday, Dec. 20. This year’s Holiday Concert will take place the morning of Friday, Dec. 21, and then we break for the winter holidays. On the day of the Holiday Concert:
- Children should be dropped off at DVMS between 8:45-9:00 on Friday, Dec.21, when they will go to their Montessori environments to get ready and run any last minute rehearsals.
- Parents are invited to stay at DVMS to browse the Strata Market and enjoy some delectables from their Café.
- The big show will run from 9:30 to 10:30ish, after which Strata will re-open their Café for last-minute treats and chats before we head off for the winter break.
- If you or your child is not able to attend the concert this year, please let your child’s Montessori guides know.
- Clothing requirements are “Holiday Best”.
- There is no school or on-stage performance for Toddler Community children this day, but they have made a video and are invited to come with you to watch the show.
- There is no school in the afternoon on Friday, Dec. 21. The first day of school in the new year is Monday, January 7.
- Holiday Toy Drive:
Please remember to drop off a new toy for our toy drive. Thank you to all of those families that have already participated in making a child’s holiday season special. Donations will be accepted up until December 18th. That gives us time to deliver the gifts and have them wrapped by City Kidz. Please find the wish list below.
Click here to access the Wish List mentioned by City Kidz below.
We encourage you to involve your children in the selection and delivery of toys to donate — they have abundant charitable, empathetic impulses at all ages. From City Kidz:
In 2016, we set a goal to give 4,000 local children a Christmas gift. Thanks to the generosity of the greater Hamilton community, we were able to bring Christmas to over 4,300 children last year! Additionally, gifts that arrived after the close of our toy drive, were used to provide birthday presents for children throughout the year. This year, we have once again identified 4,000 children in need, and have set a goal to provide all of them with the gift of Christmas. Please join us!
CityKidz accepts new, unwrapped gifts for boys and girls from 0 to 12 years of age. Each year, children submit wish lists with the toys they would most like to receive. We’ve included a copy of their most popular requests in a toy wishlist to help guide you in your giving. You can download a copy of the wishlist below [click the link above, actually].
We encourage you to donate and drop off your toy donations as soon as possible. This will help give our staff and volunteers the time needed to select, wrap, and deliver the perfect gift to the boys and girls in our community. Our toy drive will close on December 21st to ensure all Christmas gifts can be delivered on time.
- Toddler Holiday Tea: The Toddler Community will be hosting a holiday tea for Moms and Dads on Thursday, Dec. 20, from 2:45-3:45, in the Toddler environment.
- Lost and Found: As we approach the end of the fall term, please take some time to have a good look through the lost and found. At the end of each term, any items remaining in the lost and found, that are not labeled, are donated (labeled items are returned to the lost and found). Next week, we will be displaying all of the lost and found items in the front hallway; please peruse during morning drop-off and/or afternoon pick-up.
Bucket of Cheer: Thank you to all of you for supporting our Bucket of Cheer Fundraiser. There are a few tickets still available for purchase. Last day to purchase tickets will be Wednesday, December 19th. The Draw will take place at the Holiday Concert on December 21. Good Luck!!
- Hot Lunch Registration: We have a brand new menu with our hot lunch provider. She is now offering every child a choice between two entrees each day. Take a look at the menu below. If you would like to sign up for hot lunch, please send Holly an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fun Family Events
Many of the seasonal events we have included here over the last couple of weeks are ongoing. Check the Hamilton Spectator event listings here, and the Tourism Hamilton listings here for other fun things taking place this weekend.
Enjoy the beauty of a mid-19th century family Christmas celebration at Dundurn Castle.
The Garden Club of Hamilton decorates the Castle in Victorian splendor with cedar boughs, ribbons and dried flowers. Bring your family and share a Hamilton holiday tradition.
This is the last set of photos of the fall term. Hope that you all enjoy these little glimpses into your children’s days at school.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.