- Lower karate
- Upper Rock Climbing
- Upper boys basketball
- Recess Dance Club with Joanna
- Upper Elementary Bake Sale
- Parent Education Coming Up
- Welcome our student teacher
- Fun Events around Hamilton
er Elementary students will be participating in karate, at DVMS, with the fine folks from United Family Martial Arts during the Friday afternoons of Jan. 11, 18, and 25th. Please help them remember to wear clothing they can move in on karate days.
- Upper Elementary students will be participating in Rock Climbing at Gravity Climbing Gym on Friday January 11, 18, and 25th. Students will be bussed to the gym at 1:00. Please pick your child up at the gym for 3:30. If you are unable to pick your child up, please arrange for a ride with a friend. Please bring a water bottle and clean indoor shoes.
- Upper Basketball Team: Congratulations to a boys basketball team who played their first game on Thursday January 10th. We will continue with practices on Tuesday mornings at 7:30am. Our next game will be Wednesday at 4:30 at Guardian Angels Catholic school at 705 Centre Rd. Hamilton ON
Information and Reminders
- Recess Dance Club with Joanna: Plié! Relevé! Pirouette! Jeté! This winter immerse yourself in the creative and expressive world of dance. In this 6-week workshop, students will study ballet and modern dance technique, the history of dance, and the choreographic creative process.
No previous experience required. Please arrive to class promptly with long hair pulled back and wearing appropriate clothing for movement. Dance attire and shoes are optional but not necessary.
Classes begin the week of January 22th and run until February 28st. Offered to Lower Elementary students on Tuesdays and Upper Elementary students on Thursdays from 11:30 – 12:15.
A sign up list will be circulated through the elementary classrooms this week or alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your child’s interest.
About the Instructor: Joanna Blackwell (Montessori Guide in Lower Elementary South) studied ballet and modern dance throughout her childhood. In her late teens, she attended the intensive program at L’École Supérieure De Ballet Du Québec. After obtaining her Canadian Dance Teachers’ Association teaching certification, Joanna went on to earn a BFA in Contemporary Dance at Concordia University. She has performed with the Parahumans Dance Company and was a founding co-director of the Hamilton Dance Company and MoMo Dance Company, showing work at dance festivals in Guelph, Toronto, and Montreal. With over 25 years as a dance educator, Joanna has taught ballet, Pilates, modern dance, and choreography to students ranging in age from 2-70. Currently, Joanna is a member of the Together In Dance Committee whose purpose is to create opportunities for young dancers and professional choreographers in our city, and to educate and grow the community audience.
- Parent Education Evening: Save the date! Our next parent education evening will be February 6th at 5:00-7:00. We will be focusing on Math through the years. More info to follow.
- Upper Elementary Bake Sale: Hello parents! Lauren, Grace, Vivienne and Georgia will be hosting a bake sale on Tuesday January 15th. Please remind your children about it. Proceeds from the bake sale will be given to the Salvation Army.https://www.thespec.com/events/9105910-798142-lego-mania/
- Student Teacher in Casa South: We would like to welcome Theresa Dejmek to DVMS for her practice teaching. Theresa is doing her AMI training in France. We hope you enjoy your time with us!
Fun Family Events
- Build with Lego: Drop in and build with lego this weekend at the Valley Park Branch Library! 970 Paramount Dr., Hamilton ON,
PJ’s and Popcorn: Come and get cozy at J Hamilton with a free screening of Disney’s epic ‘Moana’! Refreshments provided for just $5 per person. All are welcome and invited to attend! Saturday, 12 January 2019 6:15-8:30pm
J Hamilton 1605 Main Street West, Hamilton ON, L8S 1E6
Straight back to work after a couple of weeks off! We’re always amazed how your children just walk back into their school routines.
Let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.