- Parent Education Evening
- Lower Karate
- Upper Rock Climbing
- Upper Boys Basketball
- Strata Play
- Kids Lit
- Movie Night
- March Break Camp
Parent Education Evening
The next in our series of Parent Education Evenings is on Wednesday, February 6, from 5:00-7:00. This event will cover the Math area of the Montessori curriculum, showing the connections of the pieces of Montessori materials and how they are built upon throughout the years.
As always, there will be childcare available for Casa & Elementary children (please click the link to register)
If you don’t usually attend the Parent education Evenings, we encourage you to come out — they are informative and give you great insights into how Montessori works and what your children are up to.
We have heard your feedback that this time slot can be difficult for families with small children. Please note that we have tried various times in the past and no timing is perfect for every family at our school. We are happy to provide childcare during the event and suggest sending one parent if the other needs to be home to put the younger ones to bed.
er Elementary students will be participating in karate, at DVMS, with the fine folks from United Family Martial Arts during the Friday afternoons of Jan. 11, 18, and 25th. Please help them remember to wear clothing they can move in on karate days.
- Upper Elementary students will be participating in Rock Climbing at Gravity Gym on Friday, January 11, 18 and 25th. Students will require clean indoor running shoes, comfy clothing and a water bottle. Students will be bussed to the gym at 1:00 and we are asking parents to pick up at 3:15pm. If you are unable to pick up your child, please arrange with a friend.
- Upper Boys Basketball Team: Practices will continue on Tuesdays, from 7:30-8:30am. The boys have a game this week at St Luke School on Wednesday, January 23rd at 4:30pm, The address is 345 Albright Rd. Hamilton ON. L8K 6N3
Upcoming games include the following:
- Tuesday, January 29th at St. David School. The game is at 4:30. 33 Cromwell Crescent, Hamilton ON L8G 2E9
- Monday, February 4th at St. Michaels School. The game is at 4:30. 135 Hester St. Hamilton ON L9A 2N9
Information and Reminders
- Strata Play: From the Strata Montessori students,
A Strata Production of
This year Strata Montessori is showcasing an exquisite depiction of a Shakespearean classic, Macbeth. There will be six separate performances from January 30th to February 2nd*, at Strata Montessori Adolescent School (575 Lions Club Rd, Ancaster, ON). Before, after and during the intermission of the show, they will be holding a cafe with coffee, tea and pastries available for purchase. The show will be approximately 2 hours, and will include a 15 minute intermission midway through the production.
Tickets will be available for sale at Strata Montessori and Dundas Valley Montessori School (DVMS) soon.
*Dates & Times:
Wednesday, January 30th – 7PM
Thursday, January 31st – 7PM
Friday, February 1st – 2PM and 7PM
Saturday, February 2nd – 2PM and 7PM
- DVMS Re-Enrolment: DVMS re-enrolment packages will be going out by email next week. Please keep an eye out for yours. We are asking that re-enrolment forms are submitted by Friday, Feb. 1. That gives us time to get a good idea of numbers at the various levels and contact families on the waitlist. Please don’t worry about payment at this time; it is most important that we have the re-enrolment forms submitted (the first payment for the 2019-2020 school year is March 1). If you know that your child will not be returning to DVMS next year and you will not be completing a re-enrolment form, please also let us know. Thank you, DVMS families, for continuing to choose authentic Montessori education for your children.
- KidsLIt: Our kids placed 2nd out of 24 teams yesterday in the regional . Only two points out of first place. Our kids love to read!!
- Elementary Movie Night: Save the date! Our Year 6’s will be hosting another fabulous movie night on Friday, January 25th from 4-7pm. Please note that this specific event will be for the ELEMENTARY CHILDREN only. The cost will be $20 and will include pizza. A Casa movie night is planned for early February.
- Kid’s Cafe: Kid’s Cafe will run once again this week on Wednesday from 3:30pm-4pm. Please bring your loonies and toonies to purchase a homemade treat from our Year 6’s who are fundraising their way to New York City for their Montessori Model United Nations trip.
- Lower Elementary Fort Building Workshop: Thank you to one of our Montessori moms, Jill Bienenstock (of Bienenstock Natural Playgrounds) who came in to run a fort making workshop this week using all natural materials. The children used recycled (live) Christmas trees to build some incredible structures.
- 2nd Week March Break Camp:
We are happy to announce that we will be hosting a March Break Camp for the second week of our March Break March 18-22. Camp will run 9am to 4pm and DVMS. This will be an art camp for all ages run by Kathy Cope. Kathy Cope is a local artist, working with children for over 30 years. She is familiar with a wide variety of arts and crafts and the expressive qualities of various materials in the hands of children. She has worked at The Art Gallery of Burlington, Dundas Valley School of Art and the Carnegie Gallery. The link for registration will be live next week.
Fun Family Events
- Winter Exhibit: Spiders Alive at the RBG. Join the RBG for the incredible eight-legged exhibition from January 19th April 14. https://www.rbg.ca/exhibit
In Spiders Alive!, visitors can explore spider anatomy and evolutionary history, learn about their signature traits — venom and silk-making — and be surprised by little-known defense mechanisms such as mimicry and noise-making. In addition to live arachnids representing approximately 17 species, the exhibition includes larger-than-life models of spiders, a climbable spider model 50 times life size, and a rare 100-million-year-old fossil of a spider in limestone.