- DVMS Re-Enrolment
- March Break Casa Camp
- Lower Skating
- Upper Skating
- Basketball This Week
- Valentine’s Day:
- cards & stuff
- Upper lunch
- PD Day
- Parent Education Evening
- Don’t forget to check the DVMS calendar to stay up to date.
We hope you’ve all had fun filling out your DVMS re-enrolment forms for the 2019.2020 school year. Re-enrolment forms were due on February 1st, to give us time to get a good idea of numbers at the various levels and to contact families on the wait list. If you know that your child will not be returning to DVMS next year and you will not be completing a re-enrolment form, please also let us know. Thank you, DVMS families, for continuing to choose authentic Montessori education for your children. Please click here to complete your re-enrolment form(s) if you have not already done so.
March Break Camp – Casa and Elementary
DVMS will host a March Break camp for DVMS children during the second week of March Break: Monday, March 18 to Friday, March 22. This camp will be run by Kathy Cope from The Carnegie Gallery and Dundas Valley School of Art. The camp will be at DVMS.
Camp will run full day 9:00-3:30. There is no before or after care. Cost for the week is $230.
Children will require a packed, healthy, litterless lunch each day, and all children should bring healthy snacks for morning and afternoon.
Space is limited, so please register as soon as possible. Click here to register.
Please make cheques payable to “DVMS.” Payment by E-Transfer may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lower Elementary Skating: Lower Elementary Students will be skating on Friday mornings in February. We will be switching the venues each week and this week they will be skating at the Dundas Driving Park. Students will be bussed to and from skating. All skaters will need their skates and a helmet. Unfortunately no hockey sticks are permitted. Any parent volunteers who would like to come and help out are more than welcome!
- Upper Elementary Skating: Upper Elementary Students will be skating on Friday afternoons in February. We will be skating at the Dundas Driving Park. Students will be bussed to the venue but will walk home from the park when they are done in time for regular dismissal. Students will require skates and a helmet. Unfortunately no hockey sticks are permitted. Any parent volunteers that would like to help out are more than welcome to join us!
- Upper Boys Basketball: The boys basketball team missed their game last week due to the weather. This game will not be rescheduled. This week the boys play at 4:30pm on Monday February 4th at St Michaels. Practice will resume on Tuesday morning at 7:30am. PLAYOFF SCHEDULE; The boys will be playing on Saturday February 9th at 2pm at Cathedral High School. If they win that game they will play on Sunday February 10th at 12:00pm. If they win that game they will play again at 2pm.
Information and Reminders
- Valentine’s Day at DVMS: We ask that children do not bring Valentine’s Day cards to school. Thank you for understanding; this day can be a considerable disruption to the Montessori environments.
- Upper Elementary students will be participating in their traditional Valentine’s box lunch exchange on Feb. 12. Information came home today.
- Upcoming PD Day and Statutory Holidays: There are two 3 day weekends coming up: Friday, Feb. 8, is a PD Day (DVMS staff will be observing at Montessori schools in Canada and the USA) and Monday, Feb. 18, is the Family Day statutory holiday.
- Parent Education: On Wednesday, Feb. 6, from 5:00-7:00, the DVMS Community would like to invite you to attend our Parent Education Evening on Math through the years. During the evening, we will discuss how math is presented in the Montessori environments from Casa through Elementary. There will be a chance for you to observe lessons at each level and ask questions of the guides.
Childcare for Casa and Elementary children will be available. We are not able to accommodate Toddlers or younger siblings at this time. Please sign up here!
- Show Me Day and Parent-Teacher Interviews: These events are coming up at the end of February/beginning of March.
- Show Me Day takes place on Wednesday March 6, from 9-11:00am and is reserved for parents only. We promise we will host another day for the grandparents in the spring.
- Parent-Teacher interviews will take place during the evening of Thursday, March 7, from 4-8pm and the morning of Friday, March 8, from 8:00am-1pm (DVMS is closed on the Friday; there is no school). There will be childcare provided during the interviews.
Show Me Day is a chance for you to spend part of a morning with your children in their Montessori environments. During your 20-minute visit, they will show you some of their favourite Montessori jobs and/or some of their favourite pieces of work that they have completed or are working on. This is always a very exciting day for the children as they have the opportunity to invite you into their Montessori worlds.
Sign-up for both events will be available next week.
Fun Family Events
- Spiders!: Continues at Royal Botanical Gardens, 680 Plains Road West, Burlington. Click here for RBG site. https://www.rbg.ca/exhibit
In Spiders Alive!, visitors can explore spider anatomy and evolutionary history, learn about their signature traits — venom and silk-making — and be surprised by little-known defense mechanisms such as mimicry and noise-making. In addition to live arachnids representing approximately 17 species, the exhibition includes larger-than-life models of spiders, a climbable spider model 50 times life size, and a rare 100-million-year-old fossil of a spider in limestone.
Let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.