- Lower dance
- Upper Track and Field
- Lost & Found
- Summer Camps
- Immunization Reporting
- Canoe, Kayaking and Mountain Bike Summer Camps
- Food Drive
- Maple Syrup Festival
- DVSA Art Auction and Preview
- Don’t forget to check the DVMS calendar to stay up to date.
Lower Elementary Dance:
- Lower Elementary students will be participating in Hip Hop at DVMS on Friday April 5th, 12, and May 3rd, with Josh from Defining Movement Dance Studio. Please ensure your child has appropriate clothing for dance movement and a water bottle.
DMD is Hamilton’s FIRST Hip-Hop focused dance studio, where students of all ages can learn the fundamentals and different styles of Hip-Hop & Street Dance. We also offer have programs in Contemporary, Ballet and Latin dances (Salsa, NY Style Salsa, Cha-Cha &. Hustle), Ballroom Dance.At DMD the emphasis is on dance, and not competition. We believe every BODY Can Dance! We are built to move, and through dance people can grow in all aspects of their lives.
Upper Elementary Track and Field:
- Elementary students will have the opportunity to work with the athletes from Macmaster’s track team for the next few Fridays. Students will be bused to MacMaster at 1:00pm on Friday April 5th. Parents are asked to pick up or arrange pick up for their child at MacMaster at 3:15. Please ensure you child has proper running shoes and a water bottle. We will be using the outdoor track as the indoor track is under construction. Please dress accordingly.
Information and Reminders
DVMS Medication Administration Policy:
- Please see the “DVMS Medication Administration Policy” on page 75 of your DVMS Parent Handbook. If your child is ever required to have medication or other medicated items administered at school, please pop into the office and complete a “Medication Administration Form.” We have had a few instances of children being sent to school with medication in their pocket or lunchbag; please be aware that even non-prescription items require an administration form to be completed. We want to make sure everyone is safe, and properly medicated (or not medicated if not s’posed to be). Thank you.
Lost and Found:
- Lost and Found articles have been donated. Thank you (and your kids) for your ongoing, very generous donations ;). Please be sure to check the lost and found regularly, and be sure to LABEL EVERYTHING (labeled items are returned to the lost and found).
- Registration for DVMS Summer Camp is now available. Click here to register.
DVMS Summer Camp is held on the grounds of Dundas Valley Montessori School. Staffed by DVMS Montessori trained Staff and using our beautiful playground, gym and multi-purpose room, each week will follow a theme with games, crafts, activities and community outings. Our Summer Camp welcomes DVMS students and other children ages 4-6 (or have completed their first year of Casa), meeting their developmental needs in a safe, nurturing environment.
- Three Upper Elementary students are organizing an Easter Food Drive beginning April 1st. All donations will be taken to the food bank. Please help support this initiative by donating a non perishable item to the box in the front lobby. Thank you for your help.
Online Immunization Reporting:
- We sent this out just before the March Break, but in case you missed it or were busy on a beach, you can now report your child’s immunizations to Hamilton Public Health using their new online reporting system. When you enrol at DVMS you are required to submit your child’s immunization records, which we are then required to submit to Hamilton Public Health every September. When your child has additional immunizations, Hamilton Public Health requires you to submit the updated information directly to them. Online immunization reporting is now available through Hamilton Public Health, and is designed as an alternative to keeping track of the hard copy immunization record (that yellow thing that you remember putting somewhere once so that you wouldn’t lose it).
Fun Family Events
Maple Syrup Festival:
- Sunday, March 31st at Westfield Heritage Village, 1049 Kirkwall Road, Rockton. Click here for info, directions, and tickets. Maple Syrup Festival 2019
Bring your family and friends for some springtime fun at the Maple Syrup Festival, there’s so much to see and do!
Learn how maple syrup was made in the early and mid-19th century and then enjoy a short walk into the woods to Westfield’s sugar shack. There you can try a taste of Westfield’s very own maple syrup, made in a modern evaporator.
Other fun activities include wagon rides drawn by a beautiful antique tractor, children’s games, wood cutting activity and a unique photo opportunity in the Hardware Store.
Be sure to stop in the Ironwood Hall for a delicious and affordable pancake breakfast, brought to you by the St. George Lions Club.
DVSA Annual Art Auction:
Over 1,500 original works of art from new and established artists. Paintings, pastels, drawings, prints, photography, sculpture, pottery, glass, fibre art, jewellery and more. Our very own Terrence Millie has a couple of pieces entered this year!
Live Auction Night: Saturday, April 6, 2019. Starts at 8pm.
Admission: $35.00 in advance, $40.00 at the door.
Tickets: www.dvsa.ca/events or at DVSA
Auction Preview Dates (Free): Thursday April 4, 9am to 9pm, Friday April 5, 9am to 9pm, Saturday, April 6, 9am to 4pm.
3rd Annual DVMS/Strata Canoe, Kayak and Mountain Bike Camps for Summer 2019:
This summer, Justin Metz (Strata guide) and Colin Fox (PE teacher at DVMS) are offering 3 unique outdoor recreation opportunities for DVMS Upper Elementary Students, Strata Montessori Students, and parents: Canoeing in Algonquin, kayaking in the Minks and McCoy Islands of Georgian Bay, and a Mountain Bike Camp in Dundas Valley. To participate in any these trips, no previous camping, nor paddling experience is necessary, although all participants would benefit from being physically fit with a positive attitude. For more information on these, and other outdoor recreation trips visit Silver Fox Expeditions and complete the Sign-Up form.
Back from March Break and back to work we go! Here are your little ones in action this week!
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.