- Lower Dance
- Upper Track and Field
- Grandparents Day
- DVMS Summer Camps
- Lower Elementary Bake Sale
- Book Swap
- Upper Elementary Speeches
- Casa Workshop
- Parent Ed: Math
- Fun Family Events This Weekend
- Don’t forget to check the DVMS calendar to stay up to date.
Lower Elementary Dance:
- Lower Elementary students will be participating in Hip Hop at DVMS on Friday April 5th, 12, and May 3rd, with Josh from Defining Movement Dance Studio. Please ensure your child has appropriate clothing for dance movement and a water bottle.
DMD is Hamilton’s FIRST Hip-Hop focused dance studio, where students of all ages can learn the fundamentals and different styles of Hip-Hop & Street Dance. We also offer have programs in Contemporary, Ballet and Latin dances (Salsa, NY Style Salsa, Cha-Cha &. Hustle), Ballroom Dance.At DMD the emphasis is on dance, and not competition. We believe every BODY Can Dance! We are built to move, and through dance people can grow in all aspects of their lives.
Upper Elementary Track and Field:
- Upper students will begin track and field at McMaster on Friday, April 5, and will continue on Fridays, April 12, and May 3.
Please guide your Upper Elementary child to remember to bring or wear athletic clothing, and their water bottles. For the Mac days, they will need to bring their clean, indoor gym shoes as well as outdoor athletic shoes (they’ll be indoors if the weather demands). Students will be transported to McMaster by bus. Students will need to be picked up outside the David Braley Centre (use the Sterling St. entrance to McMaster) at 3:15. Please arrange a ride for you child if you are unable to pick up. We will assist you in anyway possible if you are unable to secure a ride back to school for your chld.
Information and Reminders
Grandparents’ Day Coming Up:
- A bit of notice that Grandparents’ Day is coming up on Friday, May 31st. Although originally planned as a half day of school, we recognize that the unusual amount of snow days this winter has taken its toll on families. Instead, Friday May 31 will be a full school day. Grandparents of Casa and Lower Elementary children are welcome to visit their grandchildren in their Montessori environments during the morning work cycle. A sign up for both grandparents day and interview times will be available in the next couple of weeks. The Upper Elementary and Toddler Communities do not participate in Grandparents’ Day: participation is traditionally low in the Upper rooms (but grandparents are welcome to come watch them play tennis in the park), and there are too many tears when grandparents leave the Toddlers. Grandparents are welcome to take their grandchildren with them at the end of their visit or leave them at school.
- DVMS Casa Summer Camp is held on the grounds of Dundas Valley Montessori School. Staffed by DVMS Montessori trained staff and using our beautiful playground, gym, and multi-purpose room, each week will follow a theme with games, crafts, activities, and community outings. On Fridays we will have a barbecue lunch to end a week of fun and adventure. Our Summer Camp welcomes DVMS students and other children ages 4-8 (or have completed their first year of Casa as DVMS), meeting their developmental needs in a safe, nurturing environment. You can view the information on our themes etc here.
Lower Elementary Bake Sale
- Lower Elementary students are welcome to bring their loonies and toonies to buy baked goods from the sale next Friday, April 12 at 12:30pm.
- DVMS is planning to host a Book Swap! Please drop off your gently used (or new) books if you would like to donate them. We are looking for parent volunteers that would like to help with organizing this event in advance or on the day of. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to help out!
- It’s Yearbook time again! The DVMS Yearbook for 2018-19 is under development. This year we will be once again having a contest for the cover design. Students in the upper elementary classrooms who would like to participate are asked to work on their designs and submit them by Monday, April 15. The Year book will be available for purchase online May 1, 2019 with a link and details to b provided at that time.
Upper Elementary Speeches
- Upper Elementary Students have been busy working on their speeches. They have all chosen topics based on campaigns that they feel passionate about. Upper Elementary East will present their speeches on Wednesday April 17th beginning at 9:30am. Upper Elementary West will present their speeches on Thursday April 18th at 9:30am. We hope to see you there!
- Save the date. Our next Casa workshop will be on April 24th from 3:30-4pm. Topic to follow!
Parent Education Evening
- We have finally set a date to reschedule our Math Curriculum evening that was cancelled due to snow. Save the date….May 15th from 5:30pm-7pm. Childcare, snacks and drinks will be provided!
- We have a family that are looking for a second hand high chair. If you have one to donate, please contact Karen at email@example.com.
Fun Family Events
Dundas Valley School of Art- Auction: April 4th-6th
Click here for more info: https://dvsa.ca/downloads/auction/
Our main fundraiser of the year, the bidding begins April 4, 2019 for the 49th edition of Dundas Valley School of Art’s Annual Art Auction. This year’s edition features pieces from art world masters such as Pablo Picasso, works from iconic Canadian artists such as Conrad Furey and Abraham Anghik Ruben, and a vast selection of artwork by the region’s finest new and established artists.
Over 1,500 original works will be on display in all mediums – paintings, pastels, drawings, prints, photography, sculpture, pottery, glass, fibre art, jewellery and more. Take advantage of this exceptional opportunity to purchase original, high-quality and affordable artwork.