- Summer Casa Camp
- Lower Dance
- Upper Track and Field
- Casa Workshop
- Toddler Workshop
- Upper Elementary Speeches
- Easter Weekend
- Canoe, Kayak and Mountain biking camps
- Don’t forget to check the DVMS calendar to stay up to date.
Summer Casa Camp:
- DVMS Casa Summer Camp is held on the grounds of Dundas Valley Montessori School. Staffed by DVMS Montessori trained staff and using our beautiful playground, gym, and multi-purpose room, each week will follow a theme with games, crafts, activities, and community outings. On Fridays we will have a barbecue lunch to end a week of fun and adventure. Our Summer Camp welcomes DVMS students and other children ages 4-8 (or have completed their first year of Casa as DVMS), meeting their developmental needs in a safe, nurturing environment.
Lower Elementary Dance:
- Lower Elementary students will be continuing with Hip Hop at DVMS on Friday, April 12th, and Friday, May 3rd, with Josh from Defining Movement Dance Studio. Please ensure your child has appropriate clothing for dance movement and a water bottle.
DMD is Hamilton’s FIRST Hip-Hop focused dance studio, where students of all ages can learn the fundamentals and different styles of Hip-Hop & Street Dance. We also offer have programs in Contemporary, Ballet and Latin dances (Salsa, NY Style Salsa, Cha-Cha &. Hustle), Ballroom Dance.At DMD the emphasis is on dance, and not competition. We believe every BODY Can Dance! We are built to move, and through dance people can grow in all aspects of their lives.
Upper Elementary Track and Field:
- Upper Elementary students will continue with track on Friday, April 12th and Friday, May 3rd. Please guide your Upper Elementary child to remember to bring or wear athletic clothing, and their water bottles. For the Mac days, they will need to bring their clean, indoor gym shoes as well as outdoor athletic shoes (they’ll be indoors if the weather demands). Students will be transported to MacMaster at 1:00pm. Please pick up or arrange for pick up for your child at 3:15 outside the David Braley Centre (use the Sterling St. entrance to McMaster).
Information and Reminders
- The next Casa Workshop is coming up on Wednesday, April 24, 3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Please proceed to your child’s Montessori environment at 3:30. As always, your children are welcome to play on the playground until the workshop is over. See you there!
- We are excited to be hosting our final Toddler Community Parent Therapy session of this school year on Thursday April 25th from 6 – 7:30pm. We will frame our evening’s discussion around Simone Davies’ (author of The Montessori Toddler) “Seven Principles for Curious Humans”:
1. Follow the child – let them lead
2. Encourage hands – on learning – let them explore.
3. Include the child in daily life – let them be included.
4. Go slow – let them set their own pace.
5. Help me to help myself – let them be independent and responsible.
6. Encourage creativity – let them wonder.
7. Observe – let them show us.
- As always we encourage you to bring your questions, challenges and successes and use the opportunity of a room full of toddler parents to work through anything that is weighing on you. We highly suggest that one or both parents attend this event – Grandparents, nannies and other caregivers are also welcome. We hope that by having this event in the evening that families are able to settle their children and come join us for food, drinks and a good discussion.
Upper Elementary Speeches:
- Upper Elementary Students have been busy working on their speeches. They have all chosen topics based on campaigns that they feel passionate about. Upper Elementary East will present their speeches on Wednesday, April 17th beginning at 9:30am. Upper Elementary West will present their speeches on Thursday, April 18th at 9:30am. We hope to see you there!
Easter Long Weekend:
- Just a reminder that the Easter weekend is approaching. DVMS will be closed on Friday, April 19th for Good Friday and Monday, April 22nd for Easter Monday. Enjoy your long weekend.
3rd Annual DVMS/Strata Canoe, Kayak and Mountain Bike Camps for Summer 2019:
This summer, Justin Metz (Strata guide) and Colin Fox (PE teacher at DVMS) are offering 3 unique outdoor recreation opportunities for DVMS Upper Elementary Students, Strata Montessori Students, and parents: Canoeing in Algonquin, kayaking in the Minks and McCoy Islands of Georgian Bay, and a Mountain Bike Camp in Dundas Valley. To participate in any these trips, no previous camping, nor paddling experience is necessary, although all participants would benefit from being physically fit with a positive attitude. For more information on these, and other outdoor recreation trips visit Silver Fox Expeditions and complete the Sign-Up form.
Fun Family Events
Waterdown Easter Egg Hunt:
Start Date: Friday, 19 April 2019.
Time:9:30 AM – 11:00 AM. Location & Venue: Waterdown Memorial Park 200 Hamilton Street North, Flamborough ON, L0R 2H3
Additional Detail:Youth | Free
Featuring face painting, arts performances, hot chocolate, nut-free candy and chocolate and egg hunts by age group (0-2, 3-6 and 7-12). Hosted by World Source and Broughton Financial, event supports McMaster Children’s Hospital Foundation
Good Friday at Westfield:
Enjoy traditional spring-themed games, crafts, activities and demonstrations. Visit the many historical buildings with volunteers in period clothing and enjoy a hike on the trails. The General Store and the Gift Shop have sweet treats and unique gifts.
Admission is $12.00 for adults, $10.00 for seniors (65+) and $6.50 for Youths ages 6-17. Children 5 and under are admitted free. Family Rate is $32.00 (two adults and two youth). HCA Members receive free admission for two adults and up to four youths. Parking is free. Tickets can be purchased at the gate or online.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.