- Casa Workshop
- Toddler Workshop
- Lower Hip Hop
- Upper Track and Field
- News about Mary
- Bake Sale
- Summer Casa Camp
- Elementary Cross Country
- Canoe, Kayak, and Mountain Bike Trips
- Don’t forget to check the DVMS calendar to stay up to date.
- The next Casa Workshop is coming up on Wednesday, April 24, 3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. We will be looking at the culture curriculum. Please proceed to your child’s Montessori environment at 3:30. As always, your children are welcome to play on the playground until the workshop is over. See you there!
- We are excited to be hosting our final Toddler Community Parent Therapy session of this school year on Thursday April 25th from 6 – 7:30pm. We will frame our evening’s discussion around Simone Davies’ (author of The Montessori Toddler) “Seven Principles for Curious Humans”:
1. Follow the child – let them lead
2. Encourage hands – on learning – let them explore.
3. Include the child in daily life – let them be included.
4. Go slow – let them set their own pace.
5. Help me to help myself – let them be independent and responsible.
6. Encourage creativity – let them wonder.
7. Observe – let them show us.
Special News From Mary:
You may notice that Mary will not be greeting you at her usual post at the end of the school day. Happily, this is for a good reason. Mary is undertaking a short new Montessori adventure in the Philippines. She has been invited to provide 1 week of Montessori lectures to students who are beginning their Montessori studies on the campus of the University of the Philippines. Mary left on Thursday (April 18th)and will return at the end of the month. We are fortunate that during Mary’s absence, Shannon Chambers (mother of Carson and a trained Montessori 3-6 teacher) will be filling in to assist the bambini children alongside Lisa S.Q. Shannon has supplied in the Bambini classroom before as well as all of our Casa and Toddler rooms. The children will be happy to have another familiar friend caring for them while Mary is away. Mary is grateful for the support and encouragement she has received from the entire school community and will be eager to tell you about her experiences when she returns.
Lower Elementary Bake Sale:
We are having a bake sale for LES and LEN on Friday April 26th at lunchtime. There will be muffins, cookies, marshmellows, rice krispie squares and gluten free muffins. Everything will be $1. – Elizabeth, Macy, Henrik and Myer
Lower Elementary Hip Hop:
- Lower Elementary students will be continuing with Hip Hop at DVMS on Friday, May 3rd, with Josh from Defining Movement Dance Studio. Please ensure your child has appropriate clothing for dance movement and a water bottle.
DMD is Hamilton’s FIRST Hip-Hop focused dance studio, where students of all ages can learn the fundamentals and different styles of Hip-Hop & Street Dance. We also offer have programs in Contemporary, Ballet and Latin dances (Salsa, NY Style Salsa, Cha-Cha &. Hustle), Ballroom Dance.At DMD the emphasis is on dance, and not competition. We believe every BODY Can Dance! We are built to move, and through dance people can grow in all aspects of their lives.
Upper Elementary Track and Field:
- Upper Elementary students will continue with track on Friday, May 3rd. Please guide your Upper Elementary child to remember to bring or wear athletic clothing, and their water bottles. For the Mac days, they will need to bring their clean, indoor gym shoes as well as outdoor athletic shoes (they’ll be indoors if the weather demands). Students will be transported to MacMaster at 1:00pm. Please pick up or arrange for pick up for your child at 3:15 outside the David Braley Centre (use the Sterling St. entrance to McMaster).
Summer Casa Camp:
- DVMS Casa Summer Camp is held on the grounds of Dundas Valley Montessori School. Staffed by DVMS Montessori trained staff and using our beautiful playground, gym, and multi-purpose room, each week will follow a theme with games, crafts, activities, and community outings. On Fridays we will have a barbecue lunch to end a week of fun and adventure. Our Summer Camp welcomes DVMS students and other children ages 4-8 (or have completed their first year of Casa as DVMS), meeting their developmental needs in a safe, nurturing environment.
Elementary Spring Cross Country Run:
- Elementary students who have signed up to participate in the CYO spring cross country run will be running on Thursday, May 9th at Marydale Park (Marydale Park- 5999 Chippewa Rd, Mount Hope) Unfortunately, it is not possible to add runners at this time as names and ages have already been submitted. A bus will be leaving DVMS at 9:45am and returning to school at 1:45pm. Please have your child wear their DVMS shirt and bring: proper running shoes, a water bottle, and their lunch. Each child will be handed a bib with a number when they get on the bus. Please find below the the age divisions and times for each run. Please come out and cheer on your runner!
- Tyke Minor (Grade 1)- 1110 meters. 10:40-10:50am
- Tyke Major (Grade 2)- 1110 meters. 11:00-11:10am
- Atom Minor (Grade 3)- 1530 meters. 11:20-:11:30am
- Atom Major (Grade 4)-1530 meters. 11:40-11:50am
- Junior (Grade 5&6)- 1980 meters. 12:00-12:15pm
- Senior (Grade 7&8)- 2300 meters. 12:30-12:45pm
3rd Annual DVMS/Strata Canoe, Kayak and Mountain Bike Camps for Summer 2019:
This summer, Justin Metz (Strata guide) and Colin Fox (PE teacher at DVMS) are offering 3 unique outdoor recreation opportunities for DVMS Upper Elementary Students, Strata Montessori Students, and parents: Canoeing in Algonquin, kayaking in the Minks and McCoy Islands of Georgian Bay, and a Mountain Bike Camp in Dundas Valley. To participate in any these trips, no previous camping, nor paddling experience is necessary, although all participants would benefit from being physically fit with a positive attitude. For more information on these, and other outdoor recreation trips visit Silver Fox Expeditions and complete the Sign-Up form.
Fun Family Events
Good Friday at Westfield:
Westfield Heritage Village invites you to visit on Good Friday, April 19 for an afternoon of springtime fun!
Special Easter-themed activities will take place, on this day only, from 12:30 – 4:00 p.m. Families and friends can work together on a scavenger hunt, help the farmers search for real eggs in the barn, and visit a farmhouse to learn how plants, vegetables and spices can be used to colour Easter eggs naturally. You can also see a demonstration of traditional Ukrainian egg decorating. The village green will feature traditional outdoor games throughout the afternoon (weather permitting).
Many of Westfield’s more than thirty historic buildings will be staffed by the village’s authentically dressed volunteer interpreters. You won’t want to miss a visit to the train station, one room school house, blacksmith shop and much, much more. The Gift Shop will be open with a wide selection of maple products, toys and special gifts. Stop by the General Store for some unique sweet treats.
The Easter Bunny will be downtown Dundas!
Saturday April 20th, 2019
11am to 3pm
In store draws at over 70 stores, enter for a chance to win an Easter plush friend
Free face painting and hot apple cider at memorial square
Free horse and trolley rides at The Collins Brewhouse, 33 King St W
Little Tracks Petting Zoo at Eccles Auto Service, 121 King St W, bring your quarters to feed the animals
All compliments of the Dundas Business Improvement Area Merchants
Easter Egg Hunt:
Saturday, 20 April 2019. 9:00 AM – 11:59AM
Acer Garden Centre
591 Fiddlers Green Rd., Ancaster ON, L9G 3L1
Children | Please bring non-perishable food items for ACS.
Thousands of eggs will be hidden at the centre to fill your child’s sweet tooth. Come meet the Easter bunny, see a dog show, Feebee the Clown, and many different children’s activities.
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with.