- Lower Friday Gymnastics
- Upper Friday Tennis
- Cross Country Run
- Upper Mother’s Day Tea
- Lower Elementary Bake Sale
- Why Do We Have So Many Bake Sales?
- Parent Ed
- Summer Casa Camp
- Art Camp
- Canoe/Kayaking/Mountain Bike Camp
- Strata Cafe
- Grandparents are coming
- Long, long weekend
- Family Fun Events
- Don’t forget to check the DVMS calendar to stay up to date.
Lower Elementary Gymnastics
- Lower Elementary students will be participating in gymastics at the Hamilton Gymnastics Academy on May 10th, May 24th, and May 31st. Lower Elementary North will be at the gym from 11:00-12:30pm and Lower Elementary South will be at the gym from 1:00-2:30pm. Students will travel by bus to and from the Academy. Please help to guide your child to wear clothing that they can move easily in and a water bottle.
Upper Elementary Friday Tennis:
- Upper Elementary students begin tennis at the Dundas Tennis Club, located in Dundas’s Driving Park, on Friday, May 3, continuing on May 10, May 24th, and May 31st. If your child has a tennis racket, please have them bring it; if not, DVMS will supply rackets. Tennis-playin’-appropriate clothing and shoes, and their water bottles, are also required.
- Upper Elementary West (Annette/Michael) will play tennis on Friday mornings. Please drop your Upper West child off at Driving Park between 8:30-9:00 on tennis days. They will walk back to DVMS for lunch.
- Upper Elementary East (Terrence/Catherine) will play tennis on Friday afternoons. They will have an early lunch and walk to Driving Park for 1:00. If you would like to pick your child up from Driving Park, please be there no later than 3:15. Terrence or Catherine will depart Driving Park at 3:15 with the remaining students to walk back to DVMS for dismissal at 3:45.
TENNIS DAY NOTES:
- A number of Upper Elementary children enjoy riding their bikes to and from tennis. Children that choose to do so, with your approval and consent, travel in an unsupervised group. If your child would like to bike ride, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your consent.
- Some children are also given permission to dismiss themselves from Driving Park in order to walk home. If you would like your child to walk home, please indicate your consent for them to do so via email to email@example.com
Elementary Spring Cross Country Run:
- Elementary students who have signed up to participate in the CYO spring cross country run will be running on Thursday, May 9th at Marydale Park (Marydale Park- 5999 Chippewa Rd, Mount Hope) Unfortunately, it is not possible to add runners at this time as names and ages have already been submitted. A bus will be leaving DVMS at 9:45am and returning to school at 1:45pm. Please have your child wear their DVMS shirt and bring: proper running shoes, a water bottle, and their lunch. Each child will be handed a bib with a number when they get on the bus. Please find below the the age divisions and times for each run. Practices will continue rain or shine on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 8:00am.
- Tyke Minor (Grade 1)- 1110 meters. 10:40-10:50am
- Tyke Major (Grade 2)- 1110 meters. 11:00-11:10am
- Atom Minor (Grade 3)- 1530 meters. 11:20-:11:30am
- Atom Major (Grade 4)-1530 meters. 11:40-11:50am
- Junior (Grade 5&6)- 1980 meters. 12:00-12:15pm
- Senior (Grade 7&8)- 2300 meters. 12:30-12:45pm
Upper Elementary Mother’s Day Tea:
- This year’s Upper Elementary Mother’s Day Tea will take place on the afternoon of Wednesday, May 8 from 2:00-3:30. Come be pampered by your kids for an afternoon with teas and treats. You deserve it!
Elementary Snack Sale:
- Lower Elementary South will have a snack sale on Thursday May 9th and Lower Elementary North will have a Snack sale on Thursday May 16th during lunch.
Why Do We Have So Many Bake Sales:
- Montessori children are encouraged to follow their interests and by nature children are charitable and seek fairness and justice, especially during the elementary years. We realize that bake sales can cause some controversy. We encourage the children when they come to us with the idea of a bake sale because of the many lessons they offer. Organizing, executing and reflecting on running a business, mathematics, money management and all the lessons that happen in the kitchen while they prepare their goods. These are important life lessons. While there may other things that the children could sell to raise money for charities, the bake sale is by far the most exciting and an activity that the children are most invested in. Ultimately for the children purchasing the treats, this is an opportunity to teach the importance of moderation. Eat wholesome food, but indulge once in a while with a reasonable portion of a delicious treat. Because DVMS has policies regarding the day to day lunch items that we would rather not see, the bake sale once a month allows for us to indulge just that little bit. Over the course of the years, there will be many student-organized and run bake sales, in-school sports tournaments, and other ventures. We ask for your patience and cooperation as they learn how to organize, communicate, and run these events.
Information and Reminders
Parent Education Evening:
- Please join us for our Parent Education Evening on the evening of May 15th 5:30-7:00 The topic of conversation will be Math in the Montessori Environment. Child care will be available.
Summer Casa Camp:
- DVMS Casa Summer Camp is held on the grounds of Dundas Valley Montessori School. Staffed by DVMS Montessori trained staff and using our beautiful playground, gym, and multi-purpose room, each week will follow a theme with games, crafts, activities, and community outings. On Fridays we will have a barbecue lunch to end a week of fun and adventure. Our Summer Camp welcomes DVMS students and other children ages 4-6 (or have completed their first year of Casa as DVMS), meeting their developmental needs in a safe, nurturing environment.
Art Camp with Tara Smith
- Tara Smith will be hosting Art Camp at DVMS this summer. Tara will have a special DVMS family rate for these camps.
185.00- Half Day Camp (Add a sibbling for 165.00)
330.00- Full Day Camp (Add a sibbling for 310.00)
Weeks for camp include:
July 29th-Aug 2nd
- Please find the link below to register. *Please note that the registration prices on the website are for families outside of the DVMS community.
During Art Camp we will teach and facilitate the creation of multi media art and collage. Each student will be taught various collaging techniques as well as the use of incorporating multi media elements (drawing, collaging, painting, spray painting) within their artworks. At the end of the session, students will leave with an 11×14 artwork to take with them.
Studio on James is one of James st Norths’ best kept secrets. Located in the heart of downtown Hamilton, Studio on James is home to Tara Smith. The space provides an oasis for learning, creating, developing, socializing, and relaxing.Creativity is cultivated in this studio where Tara runs multi media and photographic workshops and classes for children, teens and adults alike. Each session completes with a festive exhibit showcasing the work of the students and their accomplishments. Studio On James is fortunate enough to have other talented artists teaching a variety of unique and fun classes and workshops. There is always something happening at the studio, with a variety of special events such as, open studios, one day workshops, and rotating art exhibits.
3rd Annual DVMS/Strata Canoe, Kayak and Mountain Bike Camps for Summer 2019:
This summer, Justin Metz (Strata guide) and Colin Fox (PE teacher at DVMS) are offering 3 unique outdoor recreation opportunities for DVMS Upper Elementary Students, Strata Montessori Students, and parents: Canoeing in Algonquin, kayaking in the Minks and McCoy Islands of Georgian Bay, and a Mountain Bike Camp in Dundas Valley. To participate in any these trips, no previous camping, nor paddling experience is necessary, although all participants would benefit from being physically fit with a positive attitude. For more information on these, and other outdoor recreation trips visit Silver Fox Expeditions and complete the Sign-Up form.
Grandparents’ Day Coming Up:
- A bit of notice that Grandparents’ Day is coming up on Friday, May 31. This day is always a bit chaotic, but more fun than every other day. Grandparents of Casa and Lower Elementary children are welcome to visit their grandchildren in their Montessori environments during the morning work cycle. A Request Please: if children will be leaving with grandparents, please schedule their departure from DVMS to coincide with their lunch or recess break, and let the kids (and grandparents) know what the plan is; this is the best way for everyone to avoid tears.
- The Upper Elementary and Toddler Communities do not participate in Grandparents’ Day: participation is traditionally low in the Upper rooms (but grandparents are welcome to come watch them play tennis in the park), and there are too many tears when grandparents leave the Toddlers. Toddlers will be hosting their tea in the afternoon.
Sign-up for Grandparents’ Day will be available next week.
Extra-long Weekend Notice:
- The Victoria Day long weekend is coming up. DVMS is closed on Friday, May 17, for a PD Day, and on Monday, May 21, for the Victoria Day holiday.
Fun Family Events
On the night before her wedding, Mary dreams of a thunderstorm, during which she unexpectedly meets Charlie sheltering in a barn beside his horse… A play with a heart as big as the skies that serve as its stage, Mary’s Wedding is an epic, unforgettable story of love, hope, and survival.
Join Rook’s Theatre and Flat Earth Global in the beautiful HARRRP as we transform the former church sanctuary into a candle-lit dreamscape.
Back by popular demand, join us for a production that the Hamilton Spectator calls “spine-tingling and heartbreaking,” and garnered notices for 2018’s Best Performances and Best Productions.
THE PRODUCTION /
May 9, 10, 11 + 16, 17, 18 at 8:00 PM
The HARRRP, 705 Main Street East, Hamilton
Casa French specialist Lisa Savard-Quong is very excited to be playing a set of her original music along with some other great bands. May 16th at This Ain’t Hollywood in Hamilton. Check it out! More info at her website. https://www.crappybirthdaylisa.com/
As always, let us know if you would like the full version of any photos of your children, or if you have any questions about the Montessori materials or jobs the children are working with. (If you hover your cursor over the photo you should see a file number).